Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pump Location

Views : 1870

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 14:47   #21
amazon69
Premier Member

Sounds like you're getting somewhere. 14 years is a long time. Not as long as 15 mind.
I would replace all fuel lines, flush the tank, put a filter in before the pump and one after. Fuel pump is cheap to replace or just test it by removing fuel line on carb from pump, turning car over and seeing if fuel pumps into a receptacle of your choosing. Personally I would also take the float bowls apart on the carbs and clean them all up..it would be wise to put in new needle valves.
Have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 15:26   #22
SE10 Amazon

So........

I would replace all fuel lines,

Easy enough, I can do that. where the lines go from flex to solid, is there a part number for these, or is it easier to make a home made set?

flush the tank

Again this shouldn't be too hard

put a filter in before the pump and one after

I saw this in one of the previous posts and it looked like a good idea and also quite visually impressive

Fuel pump is cheap to replace or just test it by removing fuel line on carb from pump, turning car over and seeing if fuel pumps into a receptacle of your choosing.

Noted and not hard to see if its working

Personally I would also take the float bowls apart on the carbs and clean them all up..it would be wise to put in new needle valves.

and this is where my limited knowledge expires!
SE10 Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 16:19   #23
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Happy Eastern SE10, you did find a pump ;-)

Renew all flexible Fuel hose line swith the best stuff you will get. Don't buy cheap, or buy a hughe fire extinghisher additionally. Next weekend I will have a look for the right number. Expensive (~10 pound/3 ft) stuff and not available this moment!!

Your car is with the worst inlet manifold volvo ever build. Swap it, use one without exhaust butterfly. Spent your money very well and send the carbs to a good company. The will overhaule them and you will be surprised. Not very expensive too, in relation to anger about you will you trying to fix the engine to run.

regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 17:44   #24
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

SE10A;

When replacing Fuel Pump, torque securing bolts evenly, and not too tight to prevent breaking the brittle Bakelite spacer.

If replacing Carb Bowl Valves, clean valve-housings well...even polishing! See: http://www.sw-em.com/su_carbs.htm#Co...0SU%20problems

Kay has it right about the Dual-Throttle Manifold...its the one to loose and replace when you have an opportunity (although I'm not so sure what he means by "exhaust butterfly"). See: http://www.sw-em.com/manifolding_notes.htm

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 16:07   #25
SE10 Amazon

if i stripped the carbs off and got them sent away, it would be a good time to replace the manifold.

But the question is......with what?

who supplies alternates? Looking at the car, there is probably a need to replace the entire exhaust system.

thanks again!
SE10 Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 16:10   #26
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE10 Amazon View Post
I would replace all fuel lines,

Easy enough, I can do that. where the lines go from flex to solid, is there a part number for these, or is it easier to make a home made set?
Original solid line is steel. Hard to work with. Suggest procuring some copper/nickel/steel replacement line in the correct diameter. Often referred to as cunifer, looks like copper but is stronger. Don’t use pure copper as it’s not strong enough, will fatigue and crack at stress/vibration points.

It’s much easier to bend than steel. Process is to remove the steel line from the vehicle taking care to not bend out of existing shape as little as possible, lay down the cunifer beside it on the floor and replicate the bends on the old one. Install the new one on the car and make adjustments as required to align with brackets/clamps where it attaches to the underside of the body.

While you can blow out the old line on the car, the old line likely has corroded to a certain extent and can fail at an inopertune time.

Make sure you take care not to spill gas or have any open flames, sparks, and no smoking! while doing this.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: