Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 XC60 D5 Auto... D or S for towing?

Views : 1554

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2018, 21:57   #1
XCmacca

Default 2012 XC60 D5 Auto... D or S for towing?

I have a 1400kg caravan and normally tow it in 'D' so as not to push the gearbox too hard but would it harm or be more beneficial in Sport mode 'S' on the geartronic box?
XCmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 01:18   #2
pagan8c
Master Member

I had a D5 XC70 2012MY and towed a 1800kgs caravan with it. I always used D unless I wanted a bit more squirt on the hills. It is unlikley to bother the gearbox whichever you use and maybe not much difference in consumption either. I would just use whichever feels comfortable for the car. I found the best speed to tow at was around 57mph as it was in 6th gear and just under 2000 revs. At that speed on motorways /A road and dual carriageways it was happy to stay in 6th unless a steeper hill came along and then it would change down a couple of cogs if the hill was quite steep.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 14:24   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

I always tow in D and only change into S for roundabouts and tricky junctions when a quicker getaway is needed.

I select manual for long downhills but it does not seem to make much difference but may save the brakes a bit.

I averaged 29 mpg on the computer the last time I towed which is probably 26 mpg.

My old caravan was 1500kg but have just changed to a 1650kg one but have not towed it on a long journey yet.
Old May 20th, 2018, 00:11   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There's no reason to use S. The gearbox will work out there's a heavy van on the back, and will adjust its shiftpoints etc. accordingly (up and down).

Using S for setting off quickly is a good tip though as it avoids the need to really plant the accelerator to get a Sport mode that way... (or kickdown)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 09:56   #5
mordred1973

I tow 1751KG twin axle with my D5 and never use S mode for towing unless its a long downhill when there's a smidge of engine braking or when theres a series of roundabouts, which there are on some of my trips to Norfolk.

Doesn't seem to impact the fuel consumption, which is a consistent 22/23 mpg towing
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 10:34   #6
37 RUBY
Master Member

Now I have a slightly different take on it to the drive it in "D" campus.

I have a 1500kg Caravan and have it in S for the majority of any long haul but return to D in slow moving towns/Suburbs, plus I am more often than not already in S for sudden terrain changes, be it severe uphill or downhill gradients, quick getaways at junctions and so on.

My actual main reasoning is that a faster spinning engine and transmission have lesser load stresses than one that is lugged in a higher gear lower engine rpm situation.

In fact my Volvo manual states in the towing advice section under the heading steep inclines, "Do not lock the automatic transmission in a higher gear than the engine "can cope with" - it is not always a good idea to drive at a high gear with low engine revolutions."

That said each to his or her own method....
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 11:13   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I don’t think anyone would disagree in principle with that - but even left in D the gearbox will work out and select a suitable gear for the terrain, weight and commanded throttle. You will get a faster responses to increases in gradient whilst in S but the price of that will be increased fuel consumption overall.

What the manual is telling you is not to use geartronic to hold the gearbox in too high a gear for the conditions.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 18:34   #8
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
I always tow in D and only change into S for roundabouts and tricky junctions when a quicker getaway is needed.

I select manual for long downhills but it does not seem to make much difference but may save the brakes a bit.

I averaged 29 mpg on the computer the last time I towed which is probably 26 mpg.

My old caravan was 1500kg but have just changed to a 1650kg one but have not towed it on a long journey yet.
sounds good advice.

Iain