Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 V70R Auto fwd.

Views : 2196

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 17:15   #11
The Flying Banana

my silver estate above had same beige interior..i couldnt stick it one bit so took the jump and took it all out .. not the hardest job but very time consuming making sure ALL beige is erdicated ... absolutely everything in a beige interior car needs replaced .. even the headlining as its grey / white in a black interior V70 ( they must have learnt that lesson from the 850s .. even their dark interiors had hearing aid beight roof and visors etc
The Flying Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 18:17   #12
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

If you go on ebay to the right of the search box there is a link "advanced". Click that and it will take you to a search page where one of the options is "sold listings" - tick that box and search for what you want and it will bring up items and what they sold for (if a best offer was accepted it won't say how much but it puts a line through the buy it now price).

A silver P1 V70R sold recently on ebay with lower mileage and the correct front bumper for £2,200.

Lots of variables though. Manual's generally make more than autos, condition, where in the country & number of potential buyers at the point of sale etc etc.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 16:46   #13
Ransoman

I have spoken to Iain and provided feedback. He has asked me to lower the asking price to £3k.

I am trying to source a genuine front bumper for the sale and/or a better interior. Now wish i didn't turn down a scrap V70r AWD with black interior for £300 when he first bought this
Ransoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 20:27   #14
Alpine

Beige interior looks good to me. Some will like it, some will not. Sort the bumper and the tailgate rust and it will likely be a much better prospect. But if you're up in Aberdeen the market might be restricted unless buyers will travel.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 08:18   #15
sdg1970
Master Member

Last September I paid £1300 for a silver fwd R with 150k on the clock, 8 months ticket, dark Interior and all the correct spec. 3k is way over the odds, sorry, even if you do find a correct spoiler etc. I agree with a previous poster around £1000 - 1300 ball park.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 08:33   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Casual interest but genuine question - why is the 'correct' bumper so important that its absence drastically compromises the selling price? If the car otherwise met my requirements, the bumper would be a minor consideration. At worst, it would suggest to me that the car had at some time been involved in a minor collision and a replacement obtained from a breaker.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 14:44   #17
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Casual interest but genuine question - why is the 'correct' bumper so important that its absence drastically compromises the selling price? If the car otherwise met my requirements, the bumper would be a minor consideration. At worst, it would suggest to me that the car had at some time been involved in a minor collision and a replacement obtained from a breaker.

Regards, John.
This does not just apply to an 'R' but generally on the classic car scene original spec along with condition is everything. The 'R' market is now becoming desirable and anyone seriously interested is going to be looking for a car to keep and will want original spec especially if they are going to pay top dollar.

If the car was being advertised at say sub £1000 the spec is not so important as at that price it is either going to be bought as a 'bangernomics' car and run until it no longer passes the mot or someone would have the financial wriggle room to return it to original spec.

When I was looking for a C70 originality and an unmolested car was top priority. I ignored anything that wasn't 'just so' and ended up buying an unmolested original example. Price within reason was secondary.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 22:00   #18
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
if its missing one of the key parts that distinguish it from just a V70 what else has been replaced or removed or is missing?

when you ask £3k for one of these car it needs to be correct, or atleast have its specific distinguishable parts. May aswell be a T5 with R clocks in its current form

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 08:10   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Originality

Thank you, 'ITSv40' and 'DunkinBiskits'. I accept the points that you make and appreciate that the correct appearance is important to enthusiasts who are seeking out a specific model.

I must confess that I would not have known that the car currently offered for sale was deficient in that respect had not 'DunkinBiskits' originally drawn attention to the fact. To me, it is a V70, albeit a luxurious, high performance version. I like to do my homework when considering a potential purchase, but this would have completely escaped me!

Taking 'ITSv40''s point, does originality extend to mechanical parts, both seen and unseen. I often read of people seeking to modify cars by fitting bigger brakes, performance upgrades, different wheels and so on. Clearly that is not how the car left the factory, so how does it square with originality?

Apologies to the OP if I am hijacking his thread, but I now feel a new one coming on!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 11:02   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

there are basically two scenes: the classic car scene where originality is king and the modified scene where the more mods chasing performance seem to be king. Of course there are the in between cars that are a bit of both.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote