Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed as I have run out of ideas

Views : 1949

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2018, 21:56   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman205 View Post
Well the car finally packed up the other day I swapped the maf and map sensors out and it was running again and since then I have had no issues

The maf was the original one from the car that I had swapped out while trying to fault find the issue so the only real change was the map sensor.

I’m now seeing 30.1mpg average and it’s driving so much nicer and not a single episode of limp in 2000miles including towing are caravan which it always happened with that on the back.
boost pressure sensors have been playing up for the last year , never before have they been a problem . so any boost pressure problems best change the boost pressure sensor in the intercooler outlet stub .
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 09:16   #12
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Gents - Resurrecting this thread as OP had symptoms very similar to ones I have been trying to cure for a couple months now and I'm a bit stumped.

MY03 XC90 D5 - Motorway cruising, 70ish, when trying to accelerate under extra load occasionally mild limp mode kicks in that usually quickly resets within seconds. But most interestingly it has occasionally occurred accelerating out of a junction, I'll hear a short burst of a bird whistle type flutey sound from beyond dashboard (clearly turbo system related) then Engine Service Required -limp mode.

For both limps, code reader records P0244 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/ Performance. Now using Shell V power diesel which has reduced occurrence - can drive 50 miles or more without limp mode. This is not scientifically tested - could be coincidence.

2 good indies and myself have spent a fair bit of time on this so far to no avail. Last summer it had a new intercooler, all plumbing for that recently checked and OK'd, All engine mounts/vacuum system tested & OK'd. Thorough visual check of turbo pipes done and given clean bill of health. Fuel filter changed, fuel system checked and OK'd. Boost control valve removed and cleaned. Turbo cleaning fuel additive used.

This thread OP found a cure in changing the MAP sensor. OK its only £60 but before I spend yet more chasing this issue does anyone think my problem could stem from this? The fluttering whistle sound- then limp mode seems key to me, can a faulty MAP cause this? Can I test the MAP using the OBD code reader?

Educated thoughts most welcome...

Last edited by GSTheo119; Mar 31st, 2019 at 09:19.
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 11:03   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTheo119 View Post
Gents - Resurrecting this thread as OP had symptoms very similar to ones I have been trying to cure for a couple months now and I'm a bit stumped.

MY03 XC90 D5 - Motorway cruising, 70ish, when trying to accelerate under extra load occasionally mild limp mode kicks in that usually quickly resets within seconds. But most interestingly it has occasionally occurred accelerating out of a junction, I'll hear a short burst of a bird whistle type flutey sound from beyond dashboard (clearly turbo system related) then Engine Service Required -limp mode.

For both limps, code reader records P0244 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/ Performance. Now using Shell V power diesel which has reduced occurrence - can drive 50 miles or more without limp mode. This is not scientifically tested - could be coincidence.

2 good indies and myself have spent a fair bit of time on this so far to no avail. Last summer it had a new intercooler, all plumbing for that recently checked and OK'd, All engine mounts/vacuum system tested & OK'd. Thorough visual check of turbo pipes done and given clean bill of health. Fuel filter changed, fuel system checked and OK'd. Boost control valve removed and cleaned. Turbo cleaning fuel additive used.

This thread OP found a cure in changing the MAP sensor. OK its only £60 but before I spend yet more chasing this issue does anyone think my problem could stem from this? The fluttering whistle sound- then limp mode seems key to me, can a faulty MAP cause this? Can I test the MAP using the OBD code reader?

Educated thoughts most welcome...
no you can't , you need to compare its reading with the other two atmospheric sensors on the system they usually range from 950 to 1100 millibars depending on the weather but all 3 should be very close to each other .
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 11:30   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

A code reader on it's own is no use here, some software based OBD tools like Torque can read live data from some sensors - but often not all and also the descriptions of the sensors and readings on non Volvo systems can be confusing and in some cases utterly misleading.

Hence getting is connected to VIDA is your best bet and might save you some time and money.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 22:54   #15
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Thanks fellas, both the local Indies have taken VIDA readings to no avail. Originally pulling ECM 6805 and the one for fuel rail pressure too high (prob cause by leaking injector fuel pipe - now replaced) was found, but code generated by fault now limited to the one I mentioned.

Does anyone have any explanation for the burst of fluttering whistle turbo sound leading to limp mode?
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 10:04   #16
gmonag
Premier Member

Almost certainly your turbo inlet guide vanes are coked up. This causes the turbo to overboost as you accelerate, causing the Limp Mode. You might get some temporary respite with a an in-place turbo clean but the only solution is to remove and refurbish/replace the turbo.
The job should cost about £1000, including parts. It is complicated by the need to remove the bevel gear to get the turbo out.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...hlight=ecm6805

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ecm6805&page=3

Last edited by gmonag; Apr 1st, 2019 at 10:09.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 22:37   #17
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Thanks Greg, I have been readying myself for a turbo overhaul.
disappointing if so as only 90k on the clock.
I'd read your posts about Mr Muscle turbo clean out - so it was a temporary fix? I might do it anyway as really can't afford to tackle the turbo properly right now. The only thing I'm not clear on is whether you need to flush the Mr Muscle out or does it just dissolve away? will it just be blown out of the exhaust?
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 23:03   #18
gmonag
Premier Member

After you use the Mr Muscle (or whatever), you can flush out as much of the loosened crud as possible with brake cleaner or similar. The rest just blows away.

There are also proprietary cleaners you can use e.g. "Revive" which do not involve opening up the exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GC1Jc267IM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyptm_YZEYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nueGWJjNoqg

Last edited by gmonag; Apr 1st, 2019 at 23:11.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 22:54   #19
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

So I've given it the Revive treatment, dramatic smoking but no joy displaying limp mode similar symptoms. Feels like I've run out of road and that it being sticking variable vanes a recon turbo is going to have to go in. Beyond my patience and effort levels so...
Its going to cost me 4 hours labour at the local Indie, so around £400, does this sound about right? luckily they are the boys who changed the bevel gear just over a year ago so at least that should all come out pretty smoothly.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:06   #20
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That sounds pretty good at half a days work
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote