Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 WANTED; Roadtrip to it's Homeland!!

Views : 694

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 00:21   #1
oli1092

Lightbulb XC90 WANTED; Roadtrip to it's Homeland!!

Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first Volvo!

I'm in the market for an early XC90 (due to my budget; upto £4K), I'm pretty flexible on the mileage providing it's had all the major servicing and belt changes etc.

I've been to look at several 90's at used car garages and they've all been a little ropey for my liking.
I'd love to pick up a 1 owner vehicle, something that's been a family workhorse would be ideal.

I am planning a roadtrip around Scandinavia this summer and will be travelling approximately 4000 miles so reliability is key!
Is there anything I should be particularly wary of?

Thanks in advance!
Oli
oli1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 08:56   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli1092 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first Volvo!

I'm in the market for an early XC90 (due to my budget; upto £4K), I'm pretty flexible on the mileage providing it's had all the major servicing and belt changes etc.

I've been to look at several 90's at used car garages and they've all been a little ropey for my liking.
I'd love to pick up a 1 owner vehicle, something that's been a family workhorse would be ideal.

I am planning a roadtrip around Scandinavia this summer and will be travelling approximately 4000 miles so reliability is key!
Is there anything I should be particularly wary of?

Thanks in advance!
Oli
Yes, there is a huge amount you should be weary off however that depends on your ownership view. If you are willing to undertake the maintenance yourself (as I do) and purchase a laptop with the Volvo VIdA dice then you are probably in a great market, try to add a little to it and accept that you will need to change the auto box fluid, axle fluid, aoc or transfer fluid, all filters. They are heavy on bushes, steering and suspension components etc.

My advice however would not be to start down this path if you do not intend to do the mechanics yourself. You will pay more than the purchase price is a couple of years in maintinance and servicing in all likely hood if you send it to the garages.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 08:59   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Yes, there is a huge amount you should be weary off however that depends on your ownership view. If you are willing to undertake the maintenance yourself (as I do) and purchase a laptop with the Volvo VIdA dice then you are probably in a great market, try to add a little to it and accept that you will need to change the auto box fluid, axle fluid, aoc or transfer fluid, all filters. They are heavy on bushes, steering and suspension components etc.

My advice however would not be to start down this path if you do not intend to do the mechanics yourself. You will pay more than the purchase price is a couple of years in maintinance and servicing in all likely hood if you send it to the garages.
You will need to check the splined outlet sleeve on a model that old. Get under the car when stationary and in park and rotate the prop shaft. If it turns the 4x4 is failed. Also try a fast start on wet grass and see if the rear drives.

Check engine mounts, suspension bushings and have a lot of research on here.

4K for a 90 is no Money at al and for each good one there will be many many bad ones that can be money pits.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, used xc90, wanted, xc90