Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 v70 2.5t auto.

Views : 939

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 20:50   #1
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Default 1998 v70 2.5t auto.

As some of you are probably aware, I've been having a battle with this car over a fault code which keeps occurring. It's P0505 idle air control. I've put a good few parts on this to try to cure it, but I've got to put my hands up and say it's beaten me. I read somewhere that a duff coolant temperature sensor can stop the cooling fan working, and that's the part I fitted today, along with a new thermostat. The eml came on again shortly after with the same code. The cooling fan doesn't seem to be working. I substituted the fan relay for a known to be working one, but it still doesn't work. I'm at the limit of my knowledge now, so must give up. Having said that, I still use the car most days and the temperature stays bang on 3 o'clock.
I've put quite a lot of parts on this car since I bought it. When I got it, the rear wiper didn't work. Bought a replacement mechanism and got it working again. The interior lights didn't work, so I took every lock out and fixed the microswitches. They're all working correctly now. I replaced the headlamps with good units sourced from Minty. The sunroof didn't work, but I've fixed that as well.
The car drives lovely, and is very fast when needed. It had new tyres just before I bought it, along with new pads. It also had new struts on the rear hatch, so it doesn't come down and smack you on the head.
The interior is in a mushroom type colour, with the usual shrinkage on the doorcard coverings. The drivers seat has a small split in the cushion.
Nice SC900 radio/cd. It has the 3 cd cartridge which works correctly, but only with genuine cd's. All the night illumination is ok. The gear selector light is not working.
It needs an uprated dipstick. I was going to do this, but not now. Enough is enough.
The car has mot until December 10th.
There is no service history.
The car cost me £500 a few months ago, and as said, I've spent a fair few bob on it. I think an asking price of £450 is more than fair.
If you can fix the idle air and cooling fan problem, you will have a very fair V70 2.5 turbo.
Please note, this car is no beauty queen, but I think it's a fair enough example.

Once again, I tried to post some pictures, but was unable to.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetleysmooth For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 09:17   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi all.

Here are some photos uploaded for Tetleysmooth.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Volvo front 1024 x 768.jpg (73.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Green Volvo 2 1024 x 768.jpg (75.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Green Volvo 3 1024 x 768.jpg (79.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Green Volvo 4 1024 x 768.jpg (73.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Green Volvo 5 1024 x 768.jpg (75.3 KB, 39 views)
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 09:18   #3
SteveSarre
Premier Member

And one more

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Volvo 6 1024 x 768.jpg (72.0 KB, 14 views)
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 09:25   #4
martinbrown9889

I had this vehicle, but I sold that and bought a GMC truck, which we are using for towing service in Queens.
martinbrown9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 11:56   #5
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrown9889 View Post
I had this vehicle, but I sold that and bought a GMC truck, which we are using for towing service in Queens.
????????
Up until I bought it, it had never left the county of Kent.
I don't think it's ever been to New York lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetleysmooth For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 13:09   #6
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

I drove this to work yesterday in the stifling heat.
I was expecting the EML to come on almost immediately, but no, the light stayed out and the car ran super smooth, temperature bang in the middle of the guage, despite several stops for traffic lights, roundabouts etc. Same again on the way home this morning. I fitted the new 'stat and CTS, so maybe the ecu is having to re-learn values. It's got me foxed.

Can anyone give me simple instructions how to test the cooling fan please? They must be simple, because electrics are a dark art to me.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 18:25   #7
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Tetleysmooth

Sounds like an improvement, fingers crossed.

What are the symptoms of the fan problem?
Can you turn it by hand?
Does it ever work?
Have you checked the main 60A fuses in the Main Fuses box above the ABS pump?

This article might take it further

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...estions-60553/

Steve
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 18:31   #8
sdg1970
Master Member

Regarding the CTS - I changed mine and the stat about 1000 miles ago and I reckon it's still improving (ie the ECU is adapting to the change). It had been knackered for a long time i reckon, but it took me a while to diagnose the problem. It was affecting everything from fan issues (mine was doing the opposite of yours and running pretty much constant as soon as the gauge got to near 3 oclock) to Lambdas and causing over fueling and a myriad OBD codes.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 20:25   #9
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

I unplugged the CTS and the fan fired up straight away. In fact it kept going for a while after I took the keys out of the ignition switch. It stopped eventually though. If I give the relay a light tap, the fan spins momentarily, then stops again. Duff relay?

The EML came on again today.

I've possibly got a buyer for this. He doesn't give a monkeys about the EML.
He knows the amount of graft I've put in trying to solve this, and he believes me when I say it runs just fine with the light on, which it does. Possibly going next week.
I'm going to have another look at it on Wednesday. I'm going to whip the airbox out and look again if there's any vacuum lines adrift under there.
I'm a bit gutted that it may be going, but as said, this is one problem that's beaten me.
All fuses are intact.

Last edited by Tetleysmooth; Jul 1st, 2019 at 20:27. Reason: Addition.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 06:34   #10
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

This has gone now.
New owner came down from Wakefield yesterday and collected it.
It got him home without missing a beat. He seems very impressed.

I managed to cure the idle air fault in the end by adjusting the throttle plate a little. The EML hadn't come on by the time he got home to Wakefield, so I'd call that a win.

I was kinda sad to see it go, but the epic battle with the EML kinda took the shine off the car for me.