Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CV joint grease

Views : 721

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:24   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
Cable ties.
cable ties are always trouble in the near future , they just delay the fitting of the correct clamp ..just get the proper clip from volvo and clamp it up properly If the boot is rubber they will cut into it too .👍
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 23:29   #12
Kevin_L

I don't know if Volvo sell the ear type clamps separately.... The inner joint OEM clamp is an Oetiker 91.5

Anyway, I decided just to buy a pair of offset clamp pliers....I got Lisle 30600

So now I have two pair of clamp pliers.... straight and offset...maybe I'll buy a pair that allows you to use a torque wrench and I'll have a full house!!

But seriously these Lisle 30600 are great and got me out of a jam.... And at £30 for one clip.... Well they did the job
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 11:54   #13
BlueRubber
VOC Member

I had an issue in Jan this year where the metal band that holds the cv boot in place had come off completely.
I tried using a quality jubilee clip and this worked well, but was scolded by a very knowledgable friend of mine who said not to use that as it causes an imbalance in the shaft.
Cannot say that that I noticed any vibration, but I swapped it out with a high-quality, wide cable tie which is still in place now.
nb I do have the tool to use the correct metal band to secure the cv boot but was unable to clamp it correctly as the tool is large and there isn't quite enough space to use it there and apply enough force to the tool.
Maybe, someone who is stronger than me could do it, I bet SiRobb could!

I also wasn't sure what grease to repack the joint with as quite a bit had been washed out while the boot was loose. Ended up using COMMA CV & MOLY GREASE and using a large syringe to squirt it in.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 15:08   #14
Kevin_L

I was going to use LM grease for my inner joint as when I did the other inner joint boot which I bought from Volvo the grease supplied was Ford g - ps..... Couldn't seem to source this though it looked very much like LM

In the end I used lith-moly

I have the same issue with band pliers in getting the force in them....mine don't have square holes in them so you can extend with bars.... And I've used a pair of 24" swan necks.....

Though the off side shaft having to do in situ was too difficult.... No space

But the Lisle 30600 offset pliers worked a treat.... Though it was another £30 spent on top of a full suspension rebuild and pads and discs and a near side drive shaft (genuine used part..... Not new pattern) and new genuine boots for the offside

All parts genuine or Lemforder.... So it wasn't cheap!!
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin_L For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 15:10   #15
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Thanks for the info Kevin.

If that cable tie doesn't hold up I will get myself a set of those pliers, looks like they were designed for this specific job!