Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How can I increase the avg mpg in my S40 Eco?

Views : 602

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2017, 11:53   #1
samcramphorn

Default How can I increase the avg mpg in my S40 Eco?

Hi,

Just got my car today (woo) and did a test drive. Done about 25 miles on A roads (avg mph 50)and got an avg of 55 - 60mpg. Any idea what I can do to improve it?

They say it could get up to 80ish but I can't see how that's realistic.

62 plate
fully serviced
60k miles

Anything that springs to mind? (apart from not use aircon or lights?)

Cheers,
samcramphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 12:56   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

60 MPG is good going, it’s pretty much what I get from mine. 80 is not realistic, it’s the windless, 90 seconds to get to 40 MPH test to compare cars together figure. In reality, outside of hypermiling techniques there’s not an awful lot that’ll get it over 65 real world. 70 is possible, but my god it’s dull. I tend to get between 58 and 63 MPG out of mine depending on weather conditions and driving route. Remember winter diesel is coming soon so the MPG will take a nose dive shortly
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 12:59   #3
V50money

Hey Sam,

Great car there bud.
I had one of them.
But I treated myself for my retirement.

I think the MPG your getting there kid is great.
V50money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:29   #4
samcramphorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
60 MPG is good going, it’s pretty much what I get from mine. 80 is not realistic, it’s the windless, 90 seconds to get to 40 MPH test to compare cars together figure. In reality, outside of hypermiling techniques there’s not an awful lot that’ll get it over 65 real world. 70 is possible, but my god it’s dull. I tend to get between 58 and 63 MPG out of mine depending on weather conditions and driving route. Remember winter diesel is coming soon so the MPG will take a nose dive shortly
Oh, OK thanks! :-)

Why will it drop??

Also, what fuel is recommended? Is there really a difference?

Thanks,
Sam
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:37   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcramphorn View Post
Oh, OK thanks! :-)

Why will it drop??

Also, what fuel is recommended? Is there really a difference?

Thanks,
Sam
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:51   #6
Welton
Premier Member

Manufacturers MPG figures are ridiculous, it's about time they were forced to tell us the REAL mpg, you know, like, driving the car on roads!

If there was a Volvo Diesel saloon that could return 80 mpg everyone would have one
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:55   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The other point to mention is that the in car gauge can vary - the only way to know the true MPG is to brim the tank, drive the car, brim the tank again and calculate it.

There isn't much you can do - removing the EGR sometimes gives a small increase in MPG but that's controversial, and might one day be an MOT fail.

Cleaning the inlet manifold sometimes helps but with only 60k on your car it's unlikely to need it.

The "go faster" fuels never recover in gains what they cost.

The cheapest and easiest thing is keep your tyre pressures to the Eco setting (38 psi I think) and choose your tyres carefully (check the labels). This makes more of a difference than most people realise.

I can't explain the technical reason why but modern diesel engines do become less efficient in colder temperatures - my XC60 drops 3 mpg at least, plus another 2 for the winter tyres.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 13th, 2017 at 13:57.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 17:22   #8
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The other point to mention is that the in car gauge can vary - the only way to know the true MPG is to brim the tank, drive the car, brim the tank again and calculate it.

There isn't much you can do - removing the EGR sometimes gives a small increase in MPG but that's controversial, and might one day be an MOT fail.

Cleaning the inlet manifold sometimes helps but with only 60k on your car it's unlikely to need it.

The cheapest and easiest thing is keep your tyre pressures to the Eco setting (38 psi I think) and choose your tyres carefully (check the labels). This makes more of a difference than most people realise.

I can't explain the technical reason why but modern diesel engines do become less efficient in colder temperatures - my XC60 drops 3 mpg at least, plus another 2 for the winter tyres.
Another cheap option is being lighter on the accelerator, and adopting driving techniques to achieve better fuel economy.
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 17:48   #9
samcramphorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiend View Post
Another cheap option is being lighter on the accelerator, and adopting driving techniques to achieve better fuel economy.

Absolutely, I don't try to reach the speed limit as soon as possible. If I can keep it under 2k revs per gear then pretty happy with that.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 20:26   #10
skippyfox
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

Must agree with most of what you say, but diesel engines not liking the cold? The cooler the air charge to the engine the better, hence the fitting of intercoolers to a lot of diesel engine vehicles. just a thought.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote