Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restarting a P1800E after some time sitting

Views : 544

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2018, 11:34   #1
b20e
Simon Good

Default Restarting a P1800E after some time sitting

Hi

SAFETY FIRST - Work in a well ventilated space, have a helper, have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy. Naked flames and smoking have a Darwinian outcome, the only loss to the world will be the car.
Petrol is dangerous - Petrol under pressure can be lethal - Petrol fumes well around large distances in cold weather, Petrol Fumes rapidly fill enclosed and even open still air quickly. Sparks make petrol and people go boom, pets become unique decorative lights briefly.... You have been warned.

So.....

I spent some time helping get a P1800E going after a long rest yesterday so I thought I would share what problems we encountered and solved.
1. Perished Hoses - Just cut them all off and replace with new clips - Safety First.
2. New Pump - the guy got one off ebay for £30 - works just great
3. No power to pump and injectors - reset earth in boot, remade pump solenoid and other solenoids earths under bonnet. Guy had put an new battery on and new earth strap. Check green wire to battery +ve is connected.
4. Sprayed pretty much everything electrical like fuses and connections with switch cleaning spray, dont know if it worked but made me feel better.
5. Bypassed fuel tank and used 5 ltr petrol can with a whole bunch of injector cleaner added : )
6. Carb cleaned intake lots
7. Removed and cleaned idle screw
8. Removed injectors (noted hardened seals for future attention)
9. Checked if pintles moving by ignition on and actuating throttle (pump disconnected) - nothing
Now for the (we thought) innovative bit.....
In the past I have soaked and tapped seized injectors and it took ages to coax them back to life. However the smell of carb cleaner must have given me an idea.
The pintle is withdrawn into the injector when it gets a CPU signal. So attempts of clean by spraying into the inlet dont get to the stuck pintle. But you should do this anyway to clear the filter, and tap the rubber pipe end on your palm to get the crud out.
Now for the good bit - wear safety goggles (carb cleaner stings muchly)
10. First go we stuck the pintle end on the carb cleaner nozzle so carefully that it sealed all or most of the spray. (lots and lots of pressure). Very quickly it cleared the lacquer seizing the pintle. Then we got the idea of using a bit of petrol injector hose and jubilee clips. Better less messy. This works really quickly and well.
Better still we connected output end using the hose again to the line in pump end. The pump operates upto 120psi++ (so tighten up clips well) - quick burst - 0n/Off to charge the circuit) - This cleared the last and most difficult injector in what seemed seconds.
11. We sawed off the old swaged ends cut petrol injector pipe to length refit injectors to rail and.........
12. Engine back running.

With all the injector cleaner running round the circuit it got better and better as it ran.
13 Bypassed the it choke - this was nasty and the aluminium was corroded through. Blocked by jamming a 1/2 inch wobble bar in the end of input pipe for trial purposes.
14. Set petrol pressure using a glycerine filled gauge in circuit with the now working cold start valve. Very very steady at 28 psi.
15. Set idle using air screw

Owner and I very self satisfied and grinning like chimps at A&E resuscitation job.

Cost - spray cans of switch cleaner, wd40, wd40 rapid release, easy start, carb cleaner, petrol pipe, injector pipe, good quality clips (not halfords ones they suck) - New pump (may not have been necessary)
b20e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b20e For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 11:43   #2
deepsix

Great post

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d-jet djet, injection, injector, p1800e, p1800es