Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy another Volvo?

Views : 166787

Replies : 614

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Volvo?
Definitely yes 580 54.26%
Likely yes 330 30.87%
Probably no 113 10.57%
No way Nellie 46 4.30%
Voters: 1069. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 16th, 2017, 10:39   #401
Gilesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70mk2tdi View Post
I now work for Volvo as a technician and having seen first hand the lack of quality and poor design that's gone into the newer models is appalling. My 1989 740 has no rust on it at all and I did a service on a 2013 v70 d5 with 40k on the clock and the amount of rust is appalling. I'd buy another old Volvo bunnies way a newer one.
Do you mean surface rust (e.g. on fasteners) or structural rust (e.g. strut mountings) ? One is far more serious than the other.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 21:55   #402
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

I'm not so sure I would anymore. Which is a shame, as for all the new vehicles I've had, Volvo customer service and reliability has been by far the best.

I was gutted the V70 stopped, so went for an XC60 as there was nothing else. The new XC60 looks OK, but the boot size is smaller and more oddly shaped. Along with the "B" pillar being further forward, this makes me feel more cramped in the drivers seat.

The V90 I think is a little over priced compared to V70 it replaced.
I like the XC40 look, but that will be even smaller inside than the XC60.
I had a new V40 fo a few days last week, and with the lowest seat position, my head rubbed the roof lining, so going smaller isn't an option.

I'll see what the model range is like in 18months, but at present it's a shame, but likely I'll walk away from new Volvo's.
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 22:44   #403
The Thong
VOC Member

I just did..... Honda and Volvo are the only brands I’ll buy now. I just upgraded my V50 to a V60 Cross Country and unless this motor lets me down severely in the future or Volvo’s customer care fails, my next car will be another Volvo.

TT
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 21:22   #404
MCV60
Master Member

Yes, just exchanged my 6yr old V60 for 6month Old V90 with Service plan.
Volvo Dealership was pleasant to deal with.

My past V60 had no real issues. Except early stat/stop not engaging, but this was resolved. Other than wear and tear items and a door lock. Nothing major to replace.
Even though Volvo did suggest the clutch required changing at 67k, however this was still going strong at 105k.

The step up in tech, style & comfort in the V90 for the price is another level. After test driving a 5Series felt like a dated interior in comparison.

Last edited by MCV60; Oct 16th, 2017 at 21:23. Reason: Text
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 19:20   #405
volvo for ever
Premier Member

my current volvo is v60 cc best car ive had to date

renewing my wifes car soon would i buy v40 not so sure ,clutch collapsing faults ,hi speed can issues not so sure
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:18   #406
The Talking Donkey

Probably not. I'm finding the Volvo very....'nice', but a little dull. I'm hoping to buy a Stelvio in a couple of years. Looks stunning, drives like a saloon and will see me out.....
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 15:20   #407
Deadloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I just did..... Honda and Volvo are the only brands I’ll buy now. I just upgraded my V50 to a V60 Cross Country and unless this motor lets me down severely in the future or Volvo’s customer care fails, my next car will be another Volvo.

TT
Honda most likely or another Volvo possibly (too early to call). But I'll be hanging on to this one for a good time, as it should see me to retirement. Where I'll be looking for a new one. Honda for reliability and customer service, Volvo for longevity and comfort. Hopefully there will be more hybrids/Plug in Hybrids within the brands ranges by then.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:56   #408
S60RDesign

I've had quite a few problems with this one so I don't feel it's built very well (2012 S60). It was a lot of car for the money but the jury's out for me. Mine was designed under Ford's era so it will be interesting to see how the brand new models fare for niggles and reliability.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 13:43   #409
prc68

On my 1st volvo and for only 6 months, so not sure yet if I'd buy another.

When I traded in my w203 c-class Merc, was looking to replace with another newer C-class, but just like everyone complaining about the new volvo's, the newer c-class might have more bit and high tech gadgets, but the build quality is no wear close to what it used to be. That and the ridiculous asking prices, made me turn to volvo.

Looking to upgrade the suspension
prc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prc68 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 22:03   #410
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadloak View Post
Honda most likely or another Volvo possibly (too early to call). But I'll be hanging on to this one for a good time, as it should see me to retirement. Where I'll be looking for a new one. Honda for reliability and customer service, Volvo for longevity and comfort. Hopefully there will be more hybrids/Plug in Hybrids within the brands ranges by then.
My second choice would be Honda. I owned an 8th Gen Civic and it was the mutt’s. It was a 1.4 8v, woefully underpowered but very solid even though it’s done 128k at three years old. We owned it for four years with only wear and tear repairs that had to be sorted out.
Honda dealer back up is very good, when the clutch went on my Civic they booked it straight in for a first available slot and I still got it back in four days.

By comparison, it took Citroen six weeks to diagnose and repair a faulty turbo on my Dispatch which was under warranty.... Pathetic

Last edited by The Thong; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 22:10.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote