Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What alternative

Views : 1620

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 08:28   #11
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpain View Post
still enjoying it, then?
:-)
Certainly am, thanks Andrew. Took her in for 3 month check a couple of weeks ago - no issues to report to Dealer to resolve.

Spent 3 hours yesterday washing, polishing and waxing - great to be outside in relatively mild temperatures.

How are the winter tyres performing??
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 08:40   #12
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
Certainly am, thanks Andrew. Took her in for 3 month check a couple of weeks ago - no issues to report to Dealer to resolve.

Spent 3 hours yesterday washing, polishing and waxing - great to be outside in relatively mild temperatures.

Will all due respect you've got it brand new. There are almost always small teething issues with new models. Most the tech in yours is from the XC90 so all the quick the issues have mostly been ironed out by Volvo now.

It will be interesting to see how they fair in 5 years reliability wise when they've got a reasonable amount of use out of them.

They're certainly not built like the older ones!
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 17:55   #13
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Will all due respect you've got it brand new. There are almost always small teething issues with new models. Most the tech in yours is from the XC90 so all the quick the issues have mostly been ironed out by Volvo now.

It will be interesting to see how they fair in 5 years reliability wise when they've got a reasonable amount of use out of them.

They're certainly not built like the older ones!
I think it is fair to say that most of the current crop of new car’s could potentially have reliability issues in 5 years time as there is so much technology in them, and with each new model launch, there is more technology added as we move to fully autonomous vehicles (something I am not looking forward to, I must admit).

The hybrid technology is amazing, but in 5 years time as second or third owner how much will it cost to repair/replace battery packs for example.

I can’t comment on previous Volvo build quality as I didn’t come to the brand until 2014, but from what I understand, pre Ford ownership Volvo’s were more robust than than post Ford ownership ones.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 18:13   #14
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:

The hybrid technology is amazing, but in 5 years time as second or third owner how much will it cost to repair/replace battery packs for example.
That I can tell you. I have a family member at Volvo and we were talking about this the other day.

According to VIDA (Volvos software at the dealer) the battery cost to me at his rates on a V90 hybrid is......£21560 NOT fitted. That's not a typo!

Obviously these will come down as they become mass produced and become less expensive to make but at the moment, that's the price they stand at!
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:01   #15
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
That I can tell you. I have a family member at Volvo and we were talking about this the other day.

According to VIDA (Volvos software at the dealer) the battery cost to me at his rates on a V90 hybrid is......£21560 NOT fitted. That's not a typo!

Obviously these will come down as they become mass produced and become less expensive to make but at the moment, that's the price they stand at!
Unless this drops to 1/10 the cost, I will never consider a hybrid.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 20:35   #16
HDAV
Master Member

Mazda. Very nearly went for the cx-5 over the xc60, new cx-5 was lovely, the 6 is a very car the 3 quite nice too for a small saloon.

Mx-5 well Volvo can’t come close.... if I was after a big saloon or estate not sure what I would go for.....
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:30   #17
andrewpain

Quote:

glad I got them:-)
Goes in for the 12 month service Monday. No issues, apart from the wind taking the rear door out of my grip a few weeks ago and scraping the very edge on a shed hinge. Inch either way and would have hit wood. But I took out the cosmetic repair cover, so Dent Wizard coming Thursday....
Overall? Very pleased. Very comfortable, quiet, fast enough. That's what you want, isn't it?
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 09:43   #18
Considered1
Premier Member

My alternative for the next couple of years was to go back in time.
Hoping we will all be leasing Tesla/Volvo/Et all fully electric cars in the future for a few hundred a month. My Local Authority will be the only ones still sat with the lights off!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 13:09   #19
mordred1973

when they make a fully electric car that has a sensible range and can tow a caravan, then it has to be considered......would suggest that's about 10 years away. until then a diesel SUV is only option since the petrol ones aren't really affordable from a fuel consumption view.