Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MAP sensors.

Views : 484

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2018, 03:02   #1
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Default MAP sensors.

I have a P reg - 1997 - V70 2.5 turbo. Just lately I've had the EML come on a few times. It makes absolutely no difference to the running or driving of the car.
I've got a hand held diagnostic tool, and when checked, it's telling me the Manifold Absolute Pressure is too high. Ha ha thought I, the MAP sensor is playing up. Trouble is, when browsing the web, I've found out that turbo cars don't have a MAP sensor.
So my question is, what piece of equipment is causing the light to come on?
Once I clear the code, the light stays off for a couple of weeks, possibly more, before making another appearance.
Any help and advice gratefully received.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 08:53   #2
scutyde
Retrofit master

Most likely your diagnose device has a wrong interpretion of the error code. Only the 10V NA engines have a MAP sensor.
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 12:34   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above. What actual P-code is it giving? Sometimes it's confusing, for example I had a code a while back that was talking about a pressure sensor, but it was referring to the atmospheric pressure sensor which is a little black square dodger with a 3-contact electrical plug and is located on a bracket behind the RH (offside) headlamp. Sorry, can't remember the code I had, but it's just a thought. In my case, cleaning the contacts to it sorted the problem. Mine is a '97 T5 turbo.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:14   #4
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

The EML has come on a couple more times since starting this thread, and the code reader has consistantly given the code P0102, so I've bought a new MAF sensor.
Bought a new set of plugs too, just for the hell of it.
Oh, and I found that atmospheric sensor thingy behind the headlight, may change that as well while I'm feeling frivolous.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:34   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Yep, that's the general code for a MAF sensor signal too low.

What brand MAF did you get? I ask, because cheapy ones can give further problems, and while the original Bosch sensor on these usually lasts very well, these cars are picky about the quality of the sensor, so buying a cheap replacement is often a case of false economy.

Personally I'd leave well alone on the atmospheric pressure sensor, again these are usually very reliable so I'd have thought that replacing it is at best a waste of money (unless you get a fault code relating to it, which is P1107 IIRC) and at worst it might just introduce another fault? Just my view.....

Put a decent quality MAF in it and it'll be sorted I reckon.

Cheers!
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 17:40   #6
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

99% of the time on these cars if it throws a maf code its not actually the maf at fault

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:50   #7
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBiskits View Post
99% of the time on these cars if it throws a maf code its not actually the maf at fault
Could you be a tad more specific please?

My diagnostic tool is telling me it's the MAF sensor, so that's the only info I have to go on.

Sorry Luxo, it's a pattern MAF, those nice shiny Bosch ones are a little bit salty for me. Ill post up here how it is when I fit it - eventually.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 18:30   #8
byootox
Premier Member

As Dunkin says MAFs don't normally give a code when they go faulty.
What they normally do is go out of calibration and give fuel trim fault codes(on these cars)
Having said that I've come across one that was simply open circuit internally but only 1 !!
Luxo's comments about cheapo MAFS are correct because they are normally more bother than they are worth due to not being calibrated correctly out the box !!
This true on other makes as well not just on Volvo's either.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 09:47   #9
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

http://obdii.pro/en/model/volvo

I'm getting the P0108 code now.
Manifold Absolute Pressure.
Barometric pressure too high.

The car is running so much better now.
MAP sensor soon, I suppose.