Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mobile speed cameras - again

Views : 2322

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2018, 15:06   #31
Grimble
Grimble

It used to be quite easy to spot 'unmarked' cars on the motorway. now with miniature LED lights well hidden its much more difficult.

Completely negates their use as a deterrent if you cant see them. The logic of this argument is supported by the requirement to paint fixed cameras yellow.

And surely as the red flag in front brigade would agree, prevention of the devil incarnate (speeding) is better than cure. Not that a fine ever cured anything, just a determination to keep a sharper eye out for the revenue collectors.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 15:54   #32
NigelDay
Premier Member

I travelled down the A1, M18 and M1 yesterday. Cruise control set on 73 (Garmin GPS 69/70). Spotted a police camera van on the A6055 bridge over the A1 south of Boroughbridge. I just smiled and relaxed.
What was more interesting was the section of the M1 from Derbyshire into Nottinghamshire, recently in the news because the 'traffic management cameras' have caught people driving a little over 70mph. I noticed yesterday that virtually everyone was keeping to the 70mph limit.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 18:01   #33
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
are we talking about a mobile van that has signs saying its a van with a camera in it? The big vans that you can spot that are usually white ... siting on the side of the road or the top of the bridge where you dont usually see things?

Surely just keeping your eyes open while driving should allow you to see these things unless your doing 140mph+ If you cant I recon spec savers might be worth a visit

I would be more concerned about the under cover police cars thats roam around the motorways. Here I would scan sleen exec cars for two people in the front seats and if they have their police jackets on or not ... and also any dectoctor ariel stuff in or outside the car.
Those big white vans fitted with cameras calibrated to catch you at 1 milometer, they will give a reading from 1.5 kilometer away but are only calibrated at 1 kilometer for evidence.

One Sunday morning coming south on the M74 topped a long hill, sweeping right, was so so tempted to give the v70 it's head, had a stern talk to myself and held it at 70. Dot in the mirror rapidly grew into a BMW 3 series, flew past me as if I was stood still. Then saw the camera van on the bridge, he had no chance. Bet he was walking for 6 months as he had to be well over the ton.

I felt a bit sorry for him, there but for the grace of God went I.
Sunday morning, empty motorway and I admit I was tempted, behaved myself and stayed legal, he gave in to the temptation, and yes there was no other reason than revenue raising for that van to be there on a Sunday morning. It must of been a profitable spot to pay the overtime for the operator as in my area they only work 7am till 6 pm and very rarely on a Sunday unless they are out to get the tourists.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 21:27   #34
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I travelled down the A1, M18 and M1 yesterday.
What was more interesting was the section of the M1 from Derbyshire into Nottinghamshire, recently in the news because the 'traffic management cameras' have caught people driving a little over 70mph. I noticed yesterday that virtually everyone was keeping to the 70mph limit.

That'll be a novelty.
I worked in Sutton in Ashfield until recently so used this section of the M1 regularly several times a week for the last 20 years on my commute, (M1 jct.28 to M18 interchange). It was like joining whacky races, even when the smart motorway became operational. Thankfully I don't do that commute anymore so never got to experience everyone travelling at the legal limit.
Its the new Hadecs3 cameras between Tibshelf services and jct.29a that have reigned every one in. Apparently this stretch has become the most profitable in the region since beginning operation. These cameras are a lot smaller than the normal speed cameras and are mounted on a small platform on the side of the overhead gantry. They're not called stealth cameras for nothing, they are even painted grey so not easy to see.

Mike
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 22:51   #35
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Its the new Hadecs3 cameras between Tibshelf services and jct.29a that have reigned every one in. Apparently this stretch has become the most profitable in the region since beginning operation. These cameras are a lot smaller than the normal speed cameras and are mounted on a small platform on the side of the overhead gantry. They're not called stealth cameras for nothing, they are even painted grey so not easy to see.

Mike
Hadecs 3. Nasty.
https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 11:37   #36
Grimble
Grimble

Lots of pedestrians, cyclists, schools and t junctions on a motorway.
The only reason for cameras here is for revenue.

Fairly soon as everybody twigs and money dries up, miraculously the speed limit will be dropped to 60.....

And yet the cameras around town near schools and dodgy junctions seem not to work.