Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Frustration

Views : 1766

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2014, 11:10   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Frustration

I thought that I was getting on top of problems until Last night I turned the key and nothing! Back on charge overnight and still nothing. I'm getting 7.5 volts on battery but everything is dead. Is it possible to have voltage on battery but still not have enough power? Electrics are the bane of my life. I have checked the fuses and they are OK.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 12:10   #2
Faust
Master Member

Yes, it's perfectly possible to 7.5 volts on a (flat) battery. It will have nowhere near enough charge to start your car though… I'd be surprised it if even made the starter solenoid click. How have you got this reading? Multimeter across the terminals?

If you've charged your battery overnight and it shows such a low reading, either your battery is knackered or (just possibly) your charger is fubar. A decent reading on a battery that's been charged overnight should be about 12.8 volts or higher. I would replace the battery for a new one in your position.

If you get a new battery, make sure your charging system is up to spec and that all earths straps are nice and clean. Make damn sure that the chassis>bellhousing strap is in good condition as it can lead to all sorts of problems - ask me how I know!
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 12:11   #3
JRL
Master Member

7.5? Electrics aren't my strong point but surely you should be getting around 12 to 13 volts? Feel free to point out my error if I have misunderstood!

*Edit* Faust beat me to it.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 13:08   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

This is a 6v battery so 7.5v is good. Yes you can have good volts but virtually no amps but that would at least light up the ignition light. I'd suspect a bad battery earth, especially after a repaint. Check where the earth strap connects to the body.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 13:37   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Absolutely dead. No ignition or oil light. Funny it was all right previously. Will check earth. I did suspect a connectivity problem but just wanted to check on battery first. Will leave it on "charge" overnight and check again tomorrow. BTW, the water was low but covering the cells. Have topped it up with dist' water.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 16:30   #6
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Like Derek wrote: Check earth first! Every point where it can be coated with paint by Bodyshop. 6V volvo is not "electrics", this is stone age, candle ligthened. 6v take smore care about good connection points then 12v, that' s it.
Regards, kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 11:38   #7
arcturus
arcturus

So to recap. The system was fully functional until Saturday,start, run, lights etc then dead. The earth is good, 7.5v from battery. 7V to starter then nothing. With the ignition switch on no voltage to regulator which I believe there should be according to diagram, which should energize switch.No voltage at fuse input side. If the ign' switch is US I should still have power at regulator? If the regulator is US should have no power at switch? Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (240.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Nov 29th, 2014 at 11:44.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 12:40   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Do you have any lighting at all? How about the interior light? Check the earth for the charging (dynamo) regulator. Earth here is just a screw into the wing, not very high tech. You'll have to chase the voltage with a meter from the battery to the ignition switch and see if voltage comes out of the other side of it when you turn the ignition on in both the accessory and full ignition on positions.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 13:12   #9
arcturus
arcturus

Was able to get meter to input side of ign' switch and that is live. very difficult access. will try to get reading from output side of switch. How is the ign' switch fastened to dash? there are two screws which seem to fit into a bracket on underside of dash. i have removed them but not sure if switch pulls out or pushes in.

addendum.Went back and tried to test output side of switch but can't reach. Will probably end up pulling out dash. Beginning to suspect ign' switch. I giggled the switch on and off a few times and at one time the fuel gauge activated briefly! I think that the whole shebang is a mess. I can get power to the light switch fuse but loose it when i operate the switch!

Last edited by arcturus; Nov 29th, 2014 at 14:30.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 14:58   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

I suspect that in order to drop the ignition switch away from the dash you will first have to remove the lock barrel. There is a small button on the outside of the lock that has to be pushed in to release the barrel. Key needs to be able to turn in order that the pin can be depressed. Fiddly but not too difficult with LHD cars I believe as you can get to the pin. A small mirror will help you find it ,but you maybe depressing it blind with a bit of bent wire, A piece of wire coat hanger bent to shape or a small Allen key might do the job. Probably best to refit the 2 screws to keep the housing solid while you push the pin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: