Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can the XC40 be my new XC60!!?

Views : 5344

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2017, 17:22   #1
XCeed

Default Can the XC40 be my new XC60!!?

Been waiting with some apprehension for the release of the XC40 and now it’s nearly here am mildly optimistic that it can fill the shoes of my previous XC60s.
The new XC60 was blown out of the water for me with ridiculous pricing and all round increase in dimensions.
So the XC40 could bring me back to Volvo, it's 2 inches narrower and 8 inches shorter than my previous XC60s, which is a plus for me providing interior space is not too badly compromised!?
The Inscription T5 will do me with metallic, leather, power/heated seats, front and rear parking aids, etc. Shouldn’t need to add any other extras so it comes out a much more sensible £36,000.
(Of course, it will have to be black to disguise the silly nouveau-styled roof, but I can live with that.)
What does annoy me is that Volvo are delaying the general sale of individually specced models until they have fleeced as many as possible on the super-specced, super-priced First Edition. Which means I’m unlikely to get a car on the road until late next year.
Volvo should realise that pushing good customers to the back of the queue for their new cars does not go down well and may well encourage them (including me) to look elsewhere.
Finally, I see Volvo are bringing back fog lights that they previously intimated were superfluous to requirements. What's changed!?
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 18:03   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Interesting thought. I'm some years off changing, but it could be option, especially as I could add every option and keep the price below the £40k VED threshold. There are a few 'issues' however. I'm not completely sold on the styling of the rear door C-pillar interface, but in the right colour it might be more attractive. If I want the 190bhp AWD, I am forced to take geartronic. Not a 'no-no', but I'm more than happy with manual boxes, so would need a really extended test drive over my usual routes to convince me to buy a geartronic. Finally, it seems Volvo have gone all soft in the modern (fashion) trend to larger wheels and lower profile tyres. 18" 55-profile is the smallest option, and go up the range and you are forced into 19" 50-profile tyres. There is no 'down-sizing' option so my current downsize to 17" 65-section is history. Living in an area of pot holes and broken tarmac edges, I really do want as much rubber between the rims and the road as is possible.
On the geartronic issue, it does remain to be seen what the engines / transmission are offered when (and if) a manual box is offered in the (new) XC60. None so far. Perhaps I need to accept the reality.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 18:36   #3
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Interesting thought. I'm some years off changing, but it could be option, especially as I could add every option and keep the price below the £40k VED threshold. There are a few 'issues' however. I'm not completely sold on the styling of the rear door C-pillar interface, but in the right colour it might be more attractive. If I want the 190bhp AWD, I am forced to take geartronic. Not a 'no-no', but I'm more than happy with manual boxes, so would need a really extended test drive over my usual routes to convince me to buy a geartronic. Finally, it seems Volvo have gone all soft in the modern (fashion) trend to larger wheels and lower profile tyres. 18" 55-profile is the smallest option, and go up the range and you are forced into 19" 50-profile tyres. There is no 'down-sizing' option so my current downsize to 17" 65-section is history. Living in an area of pot holes and broken tarmac edges, I really do want as much rubber between the rims and the road as is possible.
On the geartronic issue, it does remain to be seen what the engines / transmission are offered when (and if) a manual box is offered in the (new) XC60. None so far. Perhaps I need to accept the reality.
The new XC60 can now be specified with a manual gearbox.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 18:45   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
The new XC60 can now be specified with a manual gearbox.
But then the dilemma is if I want the D5 it has to be geartronic. I fear I will need to make the transition. Other manufacturers have ditched manual boxes completely in some comparable cars - the GLC for example.
The D5 also gives me a decent fuel tank - 71 litres compared to 60 litres.
Decisions, decisions -- as our friend Arianne has wrestled with at great length.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Oct 7th, 2017 at 18:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 19:29   #5
norco

The XC40 will probably be on our list in 18 months unless Volvo get sensible with the XC60 in terms of FWD and cheaper entry level. Looking at the 40 I am thinking maybe they will keep the XC60 around £38k with AWD and let people drop down. The deal breaker is the boot which at 460l is borderline - depends very much on the shape but looked reasonably high on the you tube video walk around with the Volvo lady. Still unsure of the rear quarter. At it's extreme it could be an upper class Juke - lava orange interior if you will.. Someone at work has a Q2 which is very smart with 2 tone colourscheme, seems to be the way manufactures are getting the cars to stand out in a generic market.
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 19:29   #6
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
But then the dilemma is if I want the D5 it has to be geartronic. I fear I will need to make the transition. Other manufacturers have ditched manual boxes completely in some comparable cars - the GLC for example.
The D5 also gives me a decent fuel tank - 71 litres compared to 60 litres.
Decisions, decisions -- as our friend Arianne has wrestled with at great length.
Embrace Geartronic...there is a reason why manufacturers are ditching cumbersome stick changes!! If you must, you can still use the auto in a manual fashion (but without the clutch) but most people soon enjoy the pleasure of simple, seamless gear changes and would never go back.
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 23:02   #7
Considered1
Premier Member

Seriously Nigel, try one of the new 8 speed boxes and you may soon wonder what all the fuss was about.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 23:14   #8
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Seriously Nigel, try one of the new 8 speed boxes and you may soon wonder what all the fuss was about.
Hands up confession. The most recent automatic I drove was a D4 AWD SE Lux when I was doing the test drives (together with a D4 FWD manual R-Design). I preferred the FWD powertrain but the SE Lux seating / ride. I subsequently realised the D4 AWD 6-speed automatic was the slowest in the stable, and also how many folk rave over the new 8-speed geartronic. So, you never know ... I could be converted ! Especially with the extra versatility of DSP and 'self' parking technology.
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 23:42   #9
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Wasn't the first edition still under £40k?
I thought it looked a fine spec...but I'm not sure I will bite....a lot of money for a car in the next 'sector' down!
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 08:14   #10
Crockers
Premier Member

For me it's not so much the price but the massive depreciation.

Also my car is running fine, owes me nothing, comfortable so why change?? Even if something serious goes Kaput it's still cheaper to fix it than lose £1000s in depreciation.

God I'm getting old and boring.