Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Maps Update Download Speed?

Views : 742

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2018, 16:02   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default Maps Update Download Speed?

At the moment I have a download speed of around 38Mbps and updating all the maps, takes around 3.25 hours.

My home phone and internet package is due for renewal shortly and I see that my provider estimates that I could get up to 78Mbps.
Is it worth going for this?
Or is the map download server restricted in the speed, it can release the updates?
Thanks.

tem.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 16:13   #2
steadvex
Master Member

does the newer sensus map updater not show you the download speed?

I have around 50mb/s although the earlier ones are only around 20gb, takes around an hour and a half, I believe it downloads to the max of the line speed you have, it downloads at the top speed for my line for what its worth.

I can get upto 78mb but the reality is the max line speed I can get is 54.

BT's 'slow' package is upto 52mb mind!

this might be of interest, £175 reward card, it comes as a mastercard you can use anyplace that takes it if you sign up to the fibre infinity 1 https://www.productsandservices.bt.c...baff4fbfb365d6 Join from £24.99 a month (18-month contract, £9.99 upfront)
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 16:51   #3
tem
Premier Member

In my area, everyone who is with BT, complains about them and their slow internet speeds.
Some, when their contracts are due for renewal, are moving to other providers, my son for one, has moved to EE for home phone, mobile and internet.

I only live about 200 yds from the telephone exchange and TalkTalk say they can provide me with speeds up to 78/80 Mbps.
Just wondered if it was worth getting it, for the few extra £’s a month?
The only big downloads, would be the map updates.

tem.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 17:59   #4
steadvex
Master Member

If it's only for map down loads i don't personally feel the extra speed is worth it, going from 20mb to 50 the only difference is big downloads.

I wouldn't pay extra for it!

i find BT to be good personally, although i don't use the bt router, always fast and never throttle speed, a £30 router in work has replaced the bt business hub which helped with linespeed and connection stability!

Honestly if it's only for map updates unless You a deal the same price as the slower i don't think its worth the speed increase
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 20:18   #5
Driver Dave

Exclamation

Be careful of "headline speeds" Tem, we are told we can get "upto 17Mb", our actual speed is 3Mb!!.
Hopefully in the future we will get an upgrade to "superfast broadband" as promised by the government. - I am not hing to be holding my breath!
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 20:41   #6
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Be careful of "headline speeds" Tem, we are told we can get "upto 17Mb", our actual speed is 3Mb!!.
Hopefully in the future we will get an upgrade to "superfast broadband" as promised by the government. - I am not hing to be holding my breath!
At the moment I get 37/39 Mbps download and 8/10 Mbps upload with TalkTalk, it has been like this since early 2017.
They did a line ckeck and their estimate, was spot on.
Fortunately, I am not too far away from the nearest Green Cabinet and the Telephone Exchange.

tem.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 21:10   #7
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
I do not know who your ISP is, but I used to be with Virgin.net and they only gave me around 7.4 Mbps download.
Around 4 years ago, Virgin ditched me, because they decided that they would only service cable customers and this was not possible, where I live.
Virgin moved me over to TalkTalk and within a week, my download speed increased to around 17Mbps, at no extra charge.

Like energy suppliers, maybe one should look at alternative ISP providers, to see what they can supply.
Only a suggestion, but where you live may rely on BT Openreach.

tem.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 23:11   #8
Driver Dave

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I do not know who your ISP is, but I used to be with Virgin.net and they only gave me around 7.4 Mbps download.
Around 4 years ago, Virgin ditched me, because they decided that they would only service cable customers and this was not possible, where I live.
Virgin moved me over to TalkTalk and within a week, my download speed increased to around 17Mbps, at no extra charge.

Like energy suppliers, maybe one should look at alternative ISP providers, to see what they can supply.
Only a suggestion, but where you live may rely on BT Openreach.

tem.
You're right tem, we are reliant on B(loody) T(errible) Openreach.

We are a good long way from the exchange on the old copper wire but the really annoying thing is that the Fibre cable goes past the end of our lane (approx. 1Km away) between two of the villages. Unfortunately it appears they cannot use that to put a green cabinet on to serve this area.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 23:38   #9
Jcbrown

I was with BT, for years, through various dial-ups (even as far back as 300 baud), ISDN and ADLS. Finally ending and promised speeds "upto" 78Mbps. At best I would get less than 1/2 that: around 30-35Mbps, but often much less.

As others have said, beware the "Marketing"-wise speeds, which you are probably not likely to see in practice.

About 2 years ago, My village got fibre (FTTP) from Virgin, after many years waiting as the surrounding villages got FTTP.

I am currently on their 200Mbps package, and the latest Sensus Maps download (45MB for Europe) took about 30 mins to download, at about 25MBp+.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 21:08   #10
tem
Premier Member

Renewed my contract with TalkTalk today.
As I wanted to try and get the best package, I did it with online chat.
It took just over an hour, but I came away, very happy.

TalkTalk are now going to give me a download speed, of between 75 to 80Mbps.
They checked my line twice and said it was achievable.
The best part, up until now, I was paying £35.50 per month, this has now been reduced to £33.50 per month.
Does it pay to be loyal? In this case, it seems so.

Probably will not do a full map update until early April, just before going on a trip, to Germany.

tem.