Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Throttle Body Basics...

Views : 694

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2018, 17:14   #1
Lion Heart

Default Throttle Body Basics...

Hey guys

Need some practical help here... I'm having issues with my throttle body. Currently always in open position.

BASIC question (hoping not to sound like a fool, lol!!) when you rev the car shouldn't that butterfly valve inside the throttle body be opening and closing as the revs rise/drop?

This is not in gear, just start the engine, idling, rev up and down gently.

Should that butterfly valve be moving?
Lion Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 19:00   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

The valve opens more as you press the throttle down allowing more air into the engine to increase power, so yes.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 19:16   #3
allanw

Petrol or Diesel ? If diesel it should be open fully with engine running.
allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 19:44   #4
Lion Heart

Hi guys

It's the 2.0 diesel.

So it should be open if the engine is running - fully open always???

Surely it must move?
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 21:56   #5
x DTR x
Premier Member

When the engine is turned off the flap goes to the open position ready for the next start. That is what i have been told and mine also is always open when the engine is off.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 22:46   #6
Lion Heart

So when does it close?

It seems it's not like a petrol one which opens and closes to control air flow into the engine, diesel is different so that makes a lot of sense.

I noticed if I close it manually the engine tries to stall.

I read that it closes when you switch the engine off to help a smoother engine shut down. Is that right???

I'm trying to work out how I can test if this thing is working and doing what it should :-)

But right now very confused as to when open, when closed?

Someone here said on the diesel it should be open when the engine is running, and again open when the engine is off. So when should the flap actually move?
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 08:27   #7
Lion Heart

anyone?
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 13:52   #8
allanw

It is also known as an" anti shudder valve" by VOLVO and others e.g. VW-AUDI.
When you switch off engine I believe it should close to strangle the air supply to the engine making for a smoother quicker stop, hence "anti shudder" then reset to open ready for next start. It will also act to kill engine in a run away condition when you switch off. Diesel engines do not have a throttle as such so create no vacuum ( vacuum pump required ) and have constant supply of air and vary the fuel quantity through the injectors for more speed / power. unlike a petrol engine .Of course on a turbocharged diesel more air pushed in by turbo as revs increase. That's the simplified version.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 14:01   #9
Lion Heart

Hi allanw!

Thank you so much for the overview, much appreciated - and yes, makes a lot of sense!!

A question on the Volvo 2.0 diesel butterfly flap. I noted inside the throttle body housing there are cogs (plastic) on the spindle that attach the spindle to the domed 'cap' part which has a breather pipe attached...

In this image note the 'dome' part with the 'gun turret' pointing out at the front, to which the breather pipe attaches.

What makes the flap move? Is it pressure via this breather pipe?????

I thought the throttle body position sensor which attaches to the right hand side in this image (missing) moved it, but I think this is just s sensor/switch and not a motor as such.

So is it pressure via that pipe that moves the flap???
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 14:28   #10
allanw

Vacuum "sucks" it closed via the gears you can see. The sensors are the air intake (AIT) sensor and the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor. They measure temperature of air going to the engine and the boost (pressure) air to engine. This info passed on to engine ecu. (engine control unit). Like before this is a simplified version.