Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Upgrade

Views : 85318

Replies : 321

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2013, 07:51   #281
dheming

The cheap 3/4" spherical rode ends showed up this afternoon. I finished the other 4-link bracket this evening:

Tomorrow I'm going to work on making the other two smaller brackets.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 12:01   #282
dheming

Got all six brackets finished today:

All together:

Old Dec 28th, 2013, 10:26   #283
dheming

Finally got all the stock brackets removed from my 1800 rear end. Tomorrow I want to fit and weld on the six new brackets. Getting closer to getting her rolling again:

Old Dec 28th, 2013, 12:09   #284
Colonel Froth

Impressive rate of progress for this time of year What's your plan for welding?
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 10:30   #285
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post
Impressive rate of progress for this time of year What's your plan for welding?
Thanks. For welding the brackets I'm planning on doing very short beads to minimize the heat input and hence the distortion. Of course it will inevitably still move some so I will be straightening it with either the "weld bead on opposite side" technique or using my hydraulic press. Might throw together a makeshift fixture to brace the tube on both side of the weld too. We shall see how much trouble it's going to be.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted today. Measuring, calculating and laying out the spots for the brackets took some time. Also it took a while to prep the 2.5" openings in the brackets to fit the tube just right. Right side tower being positioned:

Rolled over to the welder to get tacked:

The tower is tacked on and the other two brackets are just held to it with bolts for mock up:

Old Dec 29th, 2013, 11:43   #286
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Thumbs up she`ll be rolling when she comes round the corner ;)

Hi Ya

Love what you have done so far and as always a treat to follow your upgrades keep up the good work and soon as shes is rolling it will make your life so much easier

happy new year fella

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:43   #287
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
Hi Ya

Love what you have done so far and as always a treat to follow your upgrades keep up the good work and soon as shes is rolling it will make your life so much easier

happy new year fella

kind regards
robert
Thanks, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her on the ground again. It's been so long I've almost forgotten what that looks like. Happy new year to you and yours as well.

I welded the first 4-link bracket on the axle yesterday. To minimize heat input I would weld about 1/2" (12mm) at a time, then go work on another project for a few minutes and come back to weld some more. The axle tube is pretty pitted and was hard to get totally clean in some areas. Due to that the puddle was hard to control at times:

The tube pulled down about 1/32" (0.8mm) over 6" (15cm) on both sides of the tower which is less than I expected. Before welding on the next brackets I'm going to straighten it using the "backbeading" method.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 12:13   #288
dheming

I ended up extending my lease til the end of January. There just wasn't enough time to get everything else done. Currently I'm taking a break from the Amazon to focus on a side project that is almost done now. I did however order some nice material to make the 4-link spacers from. I need to make five 2" long spacer tubes to convert from the 1/2" bolts to the 3/4" bores of the spherical joints. Decided to go with marine grade stainless DOM tube:

At $36/foot it's definitely expensive, but it's also ideal for this application. It does not need to be painted since it will never rust and it fits in the bore perfectly.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:22   #289
dheming

My two month long custom desk project is finally complete. It was a tremendous amount of work, but was definitely worth it in the end. Link if anyone is interested in such things: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3340822&type=1

With that done I can now finish up the last few steps to get the Amazon rolling again. First task was to carefully position the second tower for welding:

Once that was done next step was to straighten the axle tubes on each side using the backbeading technique. It worked out well and was surprisingly easy to do. After that I bolted the next bracket to the tower for tack welding:

As of tonight four of the six brackets are fully welded on now. I'm straightening the tubes as I work outward from the towers:

Closeup showing some of the backbeads:

Tomorrow I will weld on the last two outer brackets. After that I can take final measurements for the 4-link tubes/arms and order them. While those are being shipped I will finish up the last few things like the panhard mount, the lower coilover brackets and the upper crossmember tabs. Also need to get some used tires for the wheels and hook up the E-brake. Getting there.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 22:59   #290
dheming

I've done quite a bit of work since my last update here. The outer brackets are welded on so all six of them are done now. Also made some new lower mounts to work with the short QA1 coilovers I bought originally. They have a ride height of only 10" (25.4cm) vs the 14" (35.6cm) of the ones I designed all this for. So these new mounts moved the bolt 4" (10.2cm) higher up to make them work for now. This set up is just to allow me to move the car. Later on once the dust settles I'd like to get the real coilovers in there:

Panhard rod mount:

Other side primed and ready for install:

Tags
4-link, big brakes, coilovers, spherical joints, wilwood brakes