Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 rear springs falling out

Views : 823

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2018, 11:41   #1
crankmasterii

Default 740 rear springs falling out

Hello,
Im a new memeber from Ireland
Just recently bought a 1986 740 GL saloon.
Few small issues with it but good car.
Buyer told me it had lowering springs fitted.
However, I just have had the car through the NCT (same as MOT in UK) and it failed over the rear springs, when tester jacked the car up the springs pulled out of the pan in the trailing arms , by a fair amount as well.
The springs just dont seem long enough.
Does anyone have a measurement for the correct standard spring length, I can measure the lowering ones and get back with their size also.
I presume they are fine once the weight of the car is on the springs as i have been driving it for a week or so without noticing any issues.
Anyone have this problem? I dont know what manufacturer the springs are btw.
I am buying a few parts from a member here of a 1990 740 estate.
Will the springs from this car be OK for me to fit to my car?
If so I would just fit them to pass the test and revert back to the lowering springs as the car looks well sitting a bit lower
Thanks in advance for any advice
Willie
crankmasterii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:04   #2
Casheye

Sounds like the previous owner just chopped the springs instead of buying lowering ones. If the ones you're buying from someone on here haven't been cut then you shouldn't have any problems fitting them to your Volvo.

The only thing you'll have to check is whether or not your car has Nivomat shocks. From what you've said though I doubt it does as the chopped springs would probably come loose from driving as the shocks determine the ride hight.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:09   #3
crankmasterii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Sounds like the previous owner just chopped the springs instead of buying lowering ones. If the ones you're buying from someone on here haven't been cut then you shouldn't have any problems fitting them to your Volvo.

The only thing you'll have to check is whether or not your car has Nivomat shocks. From what you've said though I doubt it does as the chopped springs would probably come loose from driving as the shocks determine the ride hight.
Cheers mate, the springs look like they havent been chopped tbh, they are a blue colour and look fairly new condition but ill take a much closer look when i get at the car the weekend,
From what I read the Nivomat shocks have a rubber boot over them?
So I am looking for standard springs for a non nivomat suspension set up?
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:14   #4
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankmasterii View Post
Hello,
Im a new memeber from Ireland
Just recently bought a 1986 740 GL saloon.
Few small issues with it but good car.
Buyer told me it had lowering springs fitted.
However, I just have had the car through the NCT (same as MOT in UK) and it failed over the rear springs, when tester jacked the car up the springs pulled out of the pan in the trailing arms , by a fair amount as well.
The springs just dont seem long enough.
Does anyone have a measurement for the correct standard spring length, I can measure the lowering ones and get back with their size also.
I presume they are fine once the weight of the car is on the springs as i have been driving it for a week or so without noticing any issues.
Anyone have this problem? I dont know what manufacturer the springs are btw.
I am buying a few parts from a member here of a 1990 740 estate.
Will the springs from this car be OK for me to fit to my car?
If so I would just fit them to pass the test and revert back to the lowering springs as the car looks well sitting a bit lower
Thanks in advance for any advice
Willie
A saloon will not have self levelling shocks unless aftermarket, springs from an estate will be rated differently and late estates have Nivomats. The springs shouldn't pull out of the pan in the trailing arm as there's a tab on the cup (and a rubber seat) to prevent this - pans could be rusty of course.

And lowered springs should always be complimented with suitable shock absorbers.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:19   #5
crankmasterii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
A saloon will not have self levelling shocks unless aftermarket, springs from an estate will be rated differently and late estates have Nivomats. The springs shouldn't pull out of the pan in the trailing arm as there's a tab on the cup (and a rubber seat) to prevent this - pans could be rusty of course.

And lowered springs should always be complimented with suitable shock absorbers.

Jon.
Ah, so maybe i just need to bend the tab in the pan over the bottom of the spring and this will hold the spring in the pan when the car is lifted?
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 13:06   #6
760Simon
Getting old disgracefully

The only saloon that I’m aware of that had Nivomats fitted was the post facelift 760 with IRS
760Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 13:08   #7
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Simon View Post
The only saloon that I’m aware of that had Nivomats fitted was the post facelift 760 with IRS
Subject is 740s not 760s.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Apr 13th, 2018 at 14:00.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 13:23   #8
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankmasterii View Post
Ah, so maybe i just need to bend the tab in the pan over the bottom of the spring and this will hold the spring in the pan when the car is lifted?
The tab is positioned in such a way as you slide the coil into/under the tab when you install it (the spring).

Jon.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 13:41   #9
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
The tab is positioned in such a way as you slide the coil into/under the tab when you install it (the spring).

Jon.
If the springs not being seated correctly means just giving them a twist into the tab, it would have to be a diabolically jobsworthy tester not to just do it at the same time as the test. I've had MOTs where the tester has replaced bulbs to pass a vehicle. I guess if this wasn't the only thing it failed on then they might not have been so kind.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 14:02   #10
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
If the springs not being seated correctly means just giving them a twist into the tab, it would have to be a diabolically jobsworthy tester not to just do it at the same time as the test. I've had MOTs where the tester has replaced bulbs to pass a vehicle. I guess if this wasn't the only thing it failed on then they might not have been so kind.
Yes, in theory you're right a tester could install the spring correctly.

Jon.