Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roofbox changes towing sensation

Views : 1219

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:55   #1
37 RUBY
Master Member

Default Roofbox changes towing sensation

Morning all.

An observation I felt was worth sharing.

I've been towing caravans for some while now but never with a roofbox.

I've just travelled the 300+ miles to Cornwall with our XC70 & 1500kg van with roofboox on the car.

The roof box is aerodynamically shaped Thule made Volvo brand box and the bars Volvo aero wing.

The difference I found was that the caravan was felt less ie no occasional tugs as headwinds changed with wind direction or passing vehicles.

The roofbox clearly acted as a aerofoil. The vehicle fuel consumption stayed the same, 28mpg and SWMBO got to bring even more things than necessary with her.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 12:59   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
SWMBO got to bring even more things than necessary with her.
that has to be THE best reason to get a roof box,,,

years ago i did see a few "wings"

always thought "meh" to them as height/angle/distance to-from van + height of van = a shed load of variables to get them to work more as a deflector than air brake
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 14:26   #3
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Id forgotten the roof spoiler wings - always amused me to see them still on a car weeks or months after the dummer hols. Just like roofboxes stay on untill November.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 15:48   #4
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
Id forgotten the roof spoiler wings - always amused me to see them still on a car weeks or months after the dummer hols. Just like roofboxes stay on untill November.
And like the stuck-on headlamp converters when back in the UK....
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 17:36   #5
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
I quite like the F1 spoiler look and with regards roofboxes I know what you mean but houses are getting smaller and sometimes storage is at a premium. You should see how I manage to stow mine at the back of the garage.

Ps if you're hijacking this thread have a word with your spell checker will yer, its struggling with really simple words.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 09:13   #6
green van man
Premier Member

I suppose it's obvious when you think about it, I noticed a difference between towing the van with the xc70 and the discovery, but that's more to do with volvo power compared to landrover torque than aerodynamics.
Certainly 60 mpg into a headwind and even the volvo tells you its working by the amount of fuel it uses, still less than the landrover at 40 mind.

In effect you are towing a wall, any ramp must improve matters as airflow is smoothed but modern cars are designed in wind tunnels to optomise airflow, chuck a wall behind them and all the calculations are void.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: