Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange window motor problem

Views : 483

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 17:49   #1
T5Sweep
Master Member

Default Strange window motor problem

So my 940 has been sat on the drive for three years, it's about MOT time but I can't seem to get the windows to open anywhere on the car. Fuse is fine, relay clicks across but there's no life in the windows at all. Any thoughts? I don't recall disconnecting anything whilst I've been working on it.

Ben.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 20:17   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Best guess would be that the sliders are stuck. If you take the door cards off you easily see the horizontal metal channel within which two sliders run as the window moves up and down. You'll recognise these from the blue plastic bushes that sit in the metal channel. They can seize up through lack of use. Apply a generous squirt of silicone lube on these, and also down the felt/rubber channels that hold the glass fore and aft in each door.

Try helping things along by pushing down on the window as you operate the switch.

I've heard it said that giving the door a good slam can also help free off sticky window mechanisms!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 22:01   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Jack has just said exactly what i was going to say except to add, get some contact cleaner spray, squirt it between the switch casing and the rocker, leave it a few minutes to soak then give the switches a workout in both directions (ignition off so you don't blow a fuse by repeated alteration of direction) to clean all the contacts in the switches.

Chances are, it's simply lack of use.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 20:38   #4
T5Sweep
Master Member

Thanks for the replies.
So some further investigation tonight, we have power to the switch, and to the motor. Oddly though, with the ignition on and window switch pressed up or down, the headlights come on!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 21:07   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The headlights should be on with the ignition anyway. More to the point, if you have power to the motor, why isn't it moving the widow?

Sounds like our theory of it being stuck in the runners is right - try slamming the doors while holding the switch in the down position then lubing the rubber channels with silicone spray lube once down. Then get the window back up and operate it down/up several times to spread the silicone around.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 08:49   #6
Jimsiss

Another option is to get someone to operate the switch whilst you push down on the window, one hand as flat as possible on either side of the glass.

Which part of the headlights come on, main beam or high beam?
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 11:24   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
Another option is to get someone to operate the switch whilst you push down on the window, one hand as flat as possible on either side of the glass.

Which part of the headlights come on, main beam or high beam?
Main beam is high beam!

Depending on the year, dim-dip should come on if the headlights are switched off as dim-dip comes on with the Day Running Lights and/or sidelights when the ignition is switched on.

Turning the headlight switch to the second position should bring dipped beam on, but only if the ignition is on. With the ignition main/high beam can be switched on by pulling the left hand stalk towards the steering wheel and the main beam warning tell-tale (blue) will illuminate in the instrument panel.

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 20:04   #8
T5Sweep
Master Member

There's no easy way for me to put this... I'm a total donut and left 3 earth cables off when I was messing about earthing my gauges in
Thanks for the help anyway, always a great community on here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 21:01   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I nearly suggested checking the earths especially as it's been sat a while but you said you had power to the motor - that usually means both sides of the motor, +12V one side, 0V the other.

Never mind, you got there in the end!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 08:06   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Glad you got it sorted!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: