Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service time... Which oil?

Views : 621

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2018, 23:41   #1
Volvophile
Premier Member

Default Service time... Which oil?

My 1997 940 with the B230FT engine is due its annual service and I am debating whether to go for the same Mobil 2000 10W40 Semi Synth as last year. I see Castrol Edge 5W40 Fully Synth is on special offer for only a few quid more in Halfords.

I am wondering should I stick with Mobil or go with the Castrol this time?
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 07:25   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I wouldn't go full synth on a B230, don't forget these engines were designed when Fred Flintstone was in nappies and have evolved through the decades growing from 1600cc ish to 2316cc and changing a few bits along the way such as sprouting an overhead cam, moving the dizzy onto the back end of the cam and so on.

However they were designed to run on 20W40 or 10W40, nothing less unless your maximum daytime temperature reaches the dizzy heights of -5C!

Although all my 740s were n/asp, they were still B230s and i always ran 10W40 in them, semi-synth and run my 760 on it as well. This is what i use now, a very good oil :

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...4211&1&cc5_245

Until tonight there's a promotion running with the code "WEEKEND35" which gives 35% off, even with the oil filter as well it's unlikely to come to more than £20 and if you're not in a hurry and select free delivery, they'll get it to you free in a few days time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 22:49   #3
Volvophile
Premier Member

Thanks for the helpful advice. I was about to commit to buying the Castrol, but I did think at the back of my mind that it would be a bit too sophisticated an oil for the simple old red block.

I have ordered the oil you suggested. Even with postage to Ireland, it is turning out very cheap. I will get the filter along with my other parts from the dealer.

Cheers again.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 08:24   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You're welcome - i didn't realise you were in Dublin and don't know if the free economy delivery is an option there.

My one big gripe with Castrol products (regardless of how good or bad an oil they may be) is the smell - even on a leak-free engine, it always manages to make the engine smell "oily" and IMHO it's not the most pleasant oily smell.

There does seem to be a bit of a smell with the Gulf oil too but only for the first few days after which it disappears.

Back to what you're saying about it being "too sophisticated" - i always choose the oil for the engine, not what the oil salesman wants me to use.

On two of my cars it's been proven (by other owners) that full-synth is of no benefit, causes power and economy losses and all sorts. The recommended oil on those two is semi-synth, 10W40 and that has always been the best for those particular engines.

As i had a few cans of it around when my Volvos have come up for changing the oil, i've used it as it is a listed option by Volvo and it's worked well. As such i've continued using it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 20:51   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

I get whatever semi-synthetic 10w40 the garage use and top-up with Shell Helix HX7 10w40 bought from Eurocarparts when they have a suitable sale on; which is nearly always. Never had a problem. I’ve always thought it was more important to change the oil at regular intervals than to worry too much about the brand.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 21:01   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I tend to agree but at the same time you have to get the right grade etc. The only reason i worry about the brand now is i was using Triple QX (ECPs own brand) for many years then suddenly had a problem with it. Not just me, many others had a problem and it transpired they were using recycled oil in it. Whether by accident or design, it didn't do my engines any favours!

The first one got fumey and i thought maybe given the neglect it suffered in the hands of the previous owners it was just time taking its toll on the engine.

When a second and then a third engine did the same - all shortly after an oil change with the stuff - i started digging for answers.

That's why i now use the Gulf oil - that came to me on recommendation as being a good oil at a sensible price.

Apart from the minor gripe that it's a bit whiffy for a few days/miles after first changing it, it stays nicely in grade and clean, keeps the engines quiet and they perform well, good fuel economy and power and quiet too with no undue fumes, smoke or whatever.

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 23:52   #7
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're welcome - i didn't realise you were in Dublin and don't know if the free economy delivery is an option there.
It still came in very reasonable including the postage. A nice saving over purchasing my usual oil from Halfords.