Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V / XC70 cluster

Views : 366

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 22:54   #1
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

Default V / XC70 cluster

Hi,
Hopefully just an easy quick question.
I,ve recently bought an XC70 2008, coming from a v50 rdesign.
I really miss the blue dials. Is it possible to buy a cluster from a v70 and it be plug and play? I know the mileage etc is pulled from various modules so that will still read correct. Oh and my xc is auto so would the clocks need to be from an auto or would a set from a manual still have the p,n,r,d symbols although obviously not previously used?

Thanks
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 09:21   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Unfortunately your next Volvo is from the era when Ford's cost cutting was biting hard and the lovely, clear backlit dials from your V50 are now a thing of the past.

I find the black, front lit dials on the earlier XC/V70 models much easier to read than the blue/silver ones of later models.

It is sometimes possible to change the DIM (driver information module) but due to software differences there's always a risk of issues when interchanging parts from different model years. Also it can cause errors to be logged which you will need VIDA to reset - do not turn the ignition on with the unit disconnected.

FYI the mileage is stored on the DIM so the display will have the mileage from the doner car. Your cars' actually mileage will still be correctly stored in CEM but you will need VIDA to read it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 10:56   #3
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

Thank you for the info, Perhaps I'll just have to learn to live with the very plain cluster.
I Know it's only a visual thing but you do spend a lot of time looking at it.
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 11:30   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilo1979 View Post
Thank you for the info, Perhaps I'll just have to learn to live with the very plain cluster.
I Know it's only a visual thing but you do spend a lot of time looking at it.
I agree with you entirely.... I am also very irritated by the lack of a temperature gauge which is an unforgivable omission....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 12:23   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I assume it would be possible to fit a simple analogue coolant temperature gauge. In bygone days this was a common simple mod for a lot of cars. I suppose the logic is that you don't need to know the engine temperature unless it is abnormal and the system does give warning of abnormal engine temperatures. It's a bit like the fuel gauge. You really only need to know when the tank is getting low so as you know when to take on more fuel as no one is actually very interested in the difference between ⅔ and ¾ of a tank. I once had a car where the gauge was only truly accurate for the bottom ¼ but that was sufficient for me and I never bothered to deal with its vagueness at higher levels. If you really have to know engine temperatures for diagnosis purposes, VIDA/DiCE will tell you.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 14:06   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I assume it would be possible to fit a simple analogue coolant temperature gauge. In bygone days this was a common simple mod for a lot of cars. I suppose the logic is that you don't need to know the engine temperature unless it is abnormal and the system does give warning of abnormal engine temperatures. It's a bit like the fuel gauge. You really only need to know when the tank is getting low so as you know when to take on more fuel as no one is actually very interested in the difference between ⅔ and ¾ of a tank. I once had a car where the gauge was only truly accurate for the bottom ¼ but that was sufficient for me and I never bothered to deal with its vagueness at higher levels. If you really have to know engine temperatures for diagnosis purposes, VIDA/DiCE will tell you.
I guess that is the logic but I don't agree with it.

The behavior of the temperature gauge (up or down) is the first clue to cylinder head gasket failure, often long before other symptoms and engine destruction from overheating.

Also - drivers in some other, hotter countries where 500 mile + journeys are normal (certain parts of America, South Africa, Australia) will habitually watch the temperature gauge.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135