Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tayo's s40 T4 Phase 2

Views : 5207

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2014, 21:13   #11
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Cheers for the tips dcw. Feeling a bit less concerned about the paperwork now. Will get it all sorted over the next few months.

Quote:
All the best with her - nice to see another T4 owner joining us; the numbers seem to be going up!
Yeah and once my v5 is officially changed howmanyleft.co.uk will hopefully list an extra one
T4Tayo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T4Tayo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 21:16   #12
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Lovely car, get that dump valve removed and it will be faster
Really? Does it make the pressure lower or something? What are teh pros and cons? I'm not in the know about engine mods.

Cheers for the compliment I'm really starting to love the car

Last edited by T4Tayo; Nov 14th, 2014 at 21:18.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 21:18   #13
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
That is a properly clean engine bay.
Yeah this was one of the clinchers. Made me feel like the owner really took an interest in keeping the car tidy. Now it's my job to make it even tidier!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T4Tayo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 22:30   #14
Tickingcrow

Welcome to the tribe. That's a very nice looking and original looking car you've got. There's plenty "pay day" mods you can do. Do some reading up on the forum, especially with a T4 you'd be well advised to keep some cash set aside for maintenance.
As side marker colours have come up again, I'm biased but IMO smoked side markers go particularly well with Titanium grey.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tickingcrow For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 23:31   #15
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Tayo View Post
Really? Does it make the pressure lower or something? What are teh pros and cons? I'm not in the know about engine mods.

The pros of a dump valve are only really beneficial when you are running high boost pressures oh and the noise not everyones cup of tea

A a good recirc valve would be a better option less turbo lag as this keeps the turbo spinning by dumping the pressure back into the hot side of the turbo

The cons of a dump valve are there not everyones cup of tea and you get more turbo lag also if they have the incorrect spring fitted can cause you to loose some boost

I have the same one as yours fitted to mine at the moment but I am toying with the idea of a forge recirc valve instead

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazO2V40T4 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 00:12   #16
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Dump valves sounded great on rs turbo's but modern cars you are better off with a re circ valve, dump valves are just loads of noise, if I was in a rs turbo it would have to have a dump valve lol
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 00:32   #17
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Dump valves sounded great on rs turbo's but modern cars you are better off with a re circ valve, dump valves are just loads of noise, if I was in a rs turbo it would have to have a dump valve lol
The good old days ha ha lol

As mine was cheap I thought I'd relive my youth a little ha ha

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazO2V40T4 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 00:39   #18
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazO2V40T4 View Post
The good old days ha ha lol

As mine was cheap I thought I'd relive my youth a little ha ha

Lol do you remember those little devices you could fit in the rear back box, it used to whistle and sound like a dump valve lol, just a standard citreon ax would sound like it had a turbo fitted. I don't know if you can still buy them.

Max power and fast car magazine generation that's how we got inspiration before forums lol.
And the free demon tweeks catalogue they used to throw in lol. I still have a max power jackie degg poster on the wall a very young jackie degg lol

Last edited by kieran40; Nov 15th, 2014 at 00:45.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 11:16   #19
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Tayo View Post

There's more to it that what the other unlearned nubblies have said the t4 already has or had a recirc system on it. It's all about metered air in the system and by breaking that with a dump valve unless the car has been properly mapped the fueling will be wrong plus you will get less responce etc as the turbo now has to spin back up again etc etc
Best read up on google and if post in the performace section of the forum so a proper expert on tuning these engines can advise you. You could also give Don a call at Kalmarunion he is very freindly and knows a lot about these motors

The t4 is a great car one of the reasons I was looking for one when my V40 died but couldnt find a nice spec one with low mileage. Volvo did get it right with this motor yes there are mods you can do to increase output but I never came across a dump valve as one of the things to do as by all accounts they make it slower

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 17:40   #20
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Cheers TickingCrow... I'll probs be picking up some smoked side markers soon. Where did you get yours from?