Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fastest\powerfulest volvo's in the uk??

Views : 8547

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:08   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Now that's just spooky. For the record, I'm not e-stalking Chesh

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:17   #22
bobcat
Premier Member

Nope dosent have to have a volvo engine in it, dosent even have to be road legal. just be nice to know for sure who's holding the top spots.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:25   #23
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

No idea at all in that case. I know they're out there, but they're usually older blokes tinkering away in garages without talking to anyone. I guess we have to write them off in terms of cars we actually know about.

Kev Strong has a 360 Turbo with somewhere in the order of 330bhp. That's gotta be fairly potent, given that it most likely weighs about 1100kg.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:05   #24
don kalmar union
Trader

I would say some of the questions posed here are answered by the '06 times for the quarter mile posted in the sticky at the top of this forum.

One area that is seldom covered is the improved performance to be gained by lightening cars.

And, in the real world of road and track driving, the resolution of handling, braking and traction issues are very relevant.

Regards, Don.

www.kalmar-union.com

UK distributor of MTE Swedish Engineered Software.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:40   #25
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
A guy (think his name is Paul) that runs a Volvo and Saab Repair business somewhere in London, owns a 740 Turbo which he fitted a PRV V6 Turbo to after he couldnt get anymore from the standard 4 cylinder redblock turbo.

When i last spoke to him a about 5 years ago when i purchased his old modified Cylinderhead from the redblock engine, the V6 Turbo was doing the 1/4 mile quite comfortably in the low 12's at around 113mph ish. But he was constantly blowing gearboxes so was awaiting a Corvette gearbox to come in from the states to deal with the power.

I do remember asking him how much power it had, and his reply was "i don't know, we only tune it on the road" which then led to some amusing stories of how him and his mate were trying to map it at full boost in 4th gear on public roads.
I've spoken to him too and he said that his gearbox (M46) didn't give any probs until he had over 350bhp (his guess). As he reckoned he now had about 380 it was time to find a new 'box. He also said that the early style 740 front spoiler allowed the front end to go light at 140mph, whereas the later style one still kept it planted at 160!!!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:05   #26
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

im the fastest man at curborough and loton park - in a volvo - so surely i should be on the list ?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:39   #27
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
I would say some of the questions posed here are answered by the '06 times for the quarter mile posted in the sticky at the top of this forum.

One area that is seldom covered is the improved performance to be gained by lightening cars.

And, in the real world of road and track driving, the resolution of handling, braking and traction issues are very relevant.

Regards, Don.

www.kalmar-union.com

UK distributor of MTE Swedish Engineered Software.
yep i agree with you on this one,im sure my vw beetle shud go well
front end maybe an issue
and keeping the rear tracksion maybe another
weighes roughly half a tonne?
with a t5 volvo sat behind me ,surely has to be fun lol
rica 304
std 15g(quicker spool)
inductio airfilter(forces air from the rear wing)
manual gearbox(shorter shift)
engine sat over the rear wheels
16std volvo alloys
dumpvalve
discs all around
no aircon pump/no power steering as i didnt need it (bit less drag on the lump)
powernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 13:48   #28
Lance BLACK V70 T5

Im sure there's some newer me7 cars on standard internals running 350-400 BHP out there!
Spechs cars got to be on the list being 1/2 a second behind stuarts on the 1/4 mile.
Also I saw a p1800 with a big foff V8 in it that was running 11s or 12s!
Lance BLACK V70 T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 22:10   #29
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70 View Post
Dan, yours was one of the fastest in the UK ?! Quality - wish I had the chance to see it.

What has happened to Spesh ?

Chris
Lol. No clue mate.
I was just messing about really.
I had it on PEs rollers in early 2004 and got 282BHP with just a RICA and cat back on a 16T.
I had a 19T fitted not too long ago and that made it absloutely fly, so I may have been in with a shot at the top 5 at the time anyway.... ?
All I know is, it always went very well, and did seems to be a prime example; As to whether it was one of the fastest in the UK, I cannot really say.

Indeed, what has happened to Spesh and his car? Last I saw of his project was a pic of him and a huge turbo....

Later,
Dan.

Last edited by Dan F; Aug 19th, 2006 at 22:14.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 14:57   #30
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post

............as i think ashoks car was 310bhp.............
Indeed it was Bobcat............but it isn`t anymore!!!

I believe Russ` (RT`s) car has an Autronic stand-alone and he has done all the work on the car himself, so it must be a pretty fine example too and I do hope that Russ will be able to make one of our future meets.

I too have been wondering where Spesh has gone (there isn`t a trace of him on any forum), especially if he`s posted a 13.5 sec quarter mile in his car; that`s very impressive for any Volvo!! With times like that, he no doubt has one of the fastest cars around too; will be really interesting to hear about what has gone in to the car, along the lines of what Stuart has posted up about his car.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote