Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how does the TV work

Views : 54117

Replies : 216

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 00:40   #21
chiptivo
Premier Member

Some freeview boxes modulate the digital output to a RF frequency. You normally have to select between 21-69.

So you can use Scart, or/and the RF out

Like the RF output on a sky box.

Even though some digiboxes can modulate out, this little box will do it for you, and you choose the frequency.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-MODULAT...ht_2192wt_1185
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 00:45   #22
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I've been thinking along the same lines: find 12v DVB tuner with UHF modulator and then tune the analogue receiver into the same channel. While there are loads of digital car tuners available, they all seem to be RGB or composite video such as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1605842432...#ht_9324wt_982.

Keen to find out more about the spare DIN socket on the current tuner...
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 00:59   #23
Gazzza

yea guys its getting a bit over the top now rf converters LOL i just got this off ebay only because its the only one that has

1 a proper IR fly lead to mount next to dash to change channels

and

2 comes with a better aerial

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...X:eRTM:GB:1123

and as for the spare din . . . well Ill find out tomorrow when I talk to the engineer thanks to all for you feed back no matter how daft they seem we should be able to crack this now . . just another thought what about connecting it to the Sat nav dvd and use that feed hmmm LOL

Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:18   #24
Gazzza

Just had an idea if I get my multi meter out and see if the Din plugs are linked to each other . ..

so pin 1 on plug 1 is connected to pin1 on plug 2

Plug 1....................Plug 2
1--------------------1
2--------------------2
3--------------------3
etc

If so did Volvo design it for lets say.. . . . DVD player inputs as optional extra . . just a thought

Right bed time later guys
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:36   #25
Gazzza

Well the only Answer I got is they dont make a lead for it at the moment and on about . . . can / bus etc

So it sounds like no company makes a lead for it at the moment that a digital tuner will connect to so guys it looks like we are on are own and that means only one thing time to play

And ill start right now so ill post later on if I find any thing out
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 19:47   #26
Gazzza

Ok been playing all day and first of the spare 8 pin din that I thought was there is in fact a MULTI pin type of thing
( it was dark last night LOL )

I almost got it to work you could see a ghosting image and thats all I could manage

Right Chipitivo

I think we are going to have to go your route so I will try and now locate one of them Modulators and the good news is off e-bay a guy live's 5 mile from me. .

So now in process of sorting one out more pics and updates to follow but good news is im almost there oh yea the 8 pin din is for the AUDIO surrond sound system and if un-pluged the tv retracts . . .
so instead costing around £300 plus mark. . think we can possable get this to work for around the £100 mark and a little playing around its almost there guys

Last edited by Gazzza; Dec 22nd, 2011 at 20:03. Reason: typing
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 19:54   #27
chiptivo
Premier Member

Let us all know how you get on..

I so wish my S60 had a TV pack to mess around with..
Should be a cheap upgrade. The scart one (Bush) has a Remote extender, and I think I have seen a similar one with built in modulator (RF OUT)..

All good, good luck.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 21:09   #28
Gazzza

Ok as promised below is the Volvo 2002 PAL tuner out of my XC

And below is all the conections

I tried the Radio with the aerial out just to see if it made any differance and all is good its just the feed for the TV

OK below is the one I have NOTE the power feed as this type as the extendable IR sensor Jack which is a MUST

And below what you actually get

But mine also came with this 12v power Aerial all for £70 look around and see if you can get a good deal as this power antena is a must

Right thats just about it cant think of any thing else but please keep the feed back coming we will crack this . . I hope

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...X:eRTM:GB:1123

Thought any one got a Reverse camera fitted to the monitor

Last edited by Gazzza; Dec 22nd, 2011 at 21:15.
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 22:50   #29
Gazzza

Thumbs up

OK so with the help of Chiptivo

We now have a working Digital TV

I did not know about these converters I thought it was as per normal but your right they convert Digital and / or composite signal back to RF

The only down side was the guy who lives in Leicester is really in LONDON

AHHHH why do people on ebay do this any way took all day to track down another one local and no joy ended up at maplins for one and only down side is its mains powered 240v where the one of ebay is 9v and plug in mains adaptor ( £20 )

So after playin around I now have a working TV again and its digital after the festiv season Ill order one from ebay and install the 9v one but tried out the maplin one and it works fine oh and what ever happens you need the one with the power aerial any thing else is a waste of time I may now even upgrade mine to the twin aerial input ones but any way guys we are up and running and it also has DAB radio on it and if you have a ipod thingy so you can connect usb you can watch films . . MEGA also the card slot but a film on the card it will run that as well or even music

Guys im well chuffed thanks for all your input we cracked it any one needs any info let me know right im dog tired time to chill out and have a drink

P.S oh yea we are looking at around £100 DIY

Last edited by Gazzza; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 22:53.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gazzza For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 00:08   #30
chiptivo
Premier Member

Well done, and enjoy your beer..