Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How best to remove dash vents and grills?

Views : 1075

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2013, 13:12   #1
fx2ooo

Default How best to remove dash vents and grills?

Hi all,

I have a couple A/C vents where the inner directional panels have detached, and I'd like to attempt a fix.

Also, and more interestingly, the dash seems to have become home to a certain type of bug (little round, brown buggers). The car lives in an underground car park, dark, cool, and every morning I find one or two of these little guys crawling across the dash. New record of 3 this morning.

So, how best to remove the A/C vents and grills atop the dash without leaving little needle marks?

Cheers,
Adam
fx2ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 16:09   #2
Funky Diver
FD

I used a butter type knife. Ease it in the side you can tell which one by looking at it and levering it out.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:37   #3
chb
Master Member

Smile

Pops out very easily, think I used either a screwdriver covered in tape or a flat blade.
To reconnect the vanes on the centre, I used 20A fuse wire. Still works 2 years later.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chb For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2013, 13:11   #4
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

I had some uncoupled fins in a couple of vents when I bought mine. Using a piece of old wire coat hanger with a hook end and a slim screwdriver I managed to click all the fins back into place without taking the vents out of the dash.

Hope that helps.
Old May 24th, 2013, 14:14   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

The job is much easier with the vents removed (I've done this job). They pop out very easily.

Greg
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:26   #6
fx2ooo

Default Solved

Thanks everyone, job done.

My summary for anyone else searching -

It is easy, with a butter knife, if you know where you need to lever. Inside the bottom of the vent you can see two flush tabs, one wider than the other. When you slide the butter knife under the vent from the bottom (between the dash and the vent, not under the tabs), you need to lever up underneath these two tabs. Same on the top side, but once the bottom side is out the top is almost out as well.

With the vent out you can unplug the hazard switch, and with some fiddly work with the butter knife and a thin flathead screwdriver, get the connecting pipes off of the back of the vent to access the directional fins from behind. Inside there is a thin strip of plastic that clips onto the bottom of each fin (you can actually see it when the vents are in place when you know what you are looking for), and you can easily push back on any clips that have come off.

Here's a good video I found which shows how to remove the vent.
fx2ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fx2ooo For This Useful Post: