Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help!! have I bought a lemon?!?

Views : 14243

Replies : 168

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2013, 17:12   #161
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savabill View Post
Doesn't say much for the previous owner either. All warranty jobs and p/x in that condition.
Eh? How is it the previous owner's (implied) fault that he sold-on a car that was probably starting to give him trouble?
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 17:44   #162
savabill
Master Member

I just don't think it's right to have a car that is less than 3 years old and let it get Into that state. As bill56 said, "it was unloved". I have had cars 10 years older than that, with less things wrong. I'm pretty sure that you will have done. Didn't mean any offense.
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 18:22   #163
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
I just don't think it's right to have a car that is less than 3 years old and let it get Into that state. As bill56 said, "it was unloved". I have had cars 10 years older than that, with less things wrong. I'm pretty sure that you will have done. Didn't mean any offense.
From my point of view it was clearly feeling unloved by previous owner. Evidenced by the fact that, in my own 'pampering' ownership, doubling the age & mileage at which it was purchased, it has needed nothing whatsover doing to it, other than those warranty items that were outstanding at purchase. That's why it seemed a shame that the dealer didn't appear to have checked it out much at all.

The Steering angle sensor Dim warning, in particular, was popping up at least once a day, so I'm very surprised it didn't show up in the diagnostic checks I thought they were supposed to do when preparing under the 'selekt' scheme.

The wheel bearing 'whine', despite two new bearings, actually turned out in the end to be mainly tyre noise that was cured by a full 4-wheel alignment. Which would suggest the selling dealer could have tried harder when checking that out too. Or even, that they never checked it at all.

I paid for the alignment myself (about £100 iirc, including camber & rear toe adjustment) as nearly a year has passed before I had it done, and it would have been impossible to prove it had been incorrect at time of purchase.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 18:28   #164
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
None taken I think the car is actually 13 years old not 3 but regardless, if I had a car out of warrany with a big bill looming I'd look to 'out it' ASAP.
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 20:06   #165
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Glad to hear that Paul, I'm sure everyone who's been following this is made up for you. Hope you find yourself a cracking car when all's said and done, and it restores your faith in Volvo's. That's if you decide to go for another Volvo of course.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 10:15   #166
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Hi Paul

Did you have a happy ending to this sorry saga? I do hope you got everything back and expenses borne by you caused by them??

Do let us know the final outcome - that's if it's all over now??

Strange just reading Bills post as I saw the new owners of my V70 at the weekend who are absolutely over the moon with it - could be that I had sorted all it's problems out before selling it - doh - but then that's me. I'd be useless as a car dealer and lose money for being so caring!!!

9 years ago I sold a Saab 9000 (Abbot Racing tuned) to a chap in Norwich as I needed and bought an estate. He told me he'd look after it for me.................he still has the car which now has 230k on it with no major faults since buying it from me. It still shines like it did when I had it....................bugger, should have kept it!
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 20:31   #167
PaulieOfArrod

Hi All,
Yes indeed, this morning the s60 was indeed finally collected and I was given a wad of cash. It was all polite as it wasn't an employee of the dealer, it was an independent recovery guy. I didn't get any money for expenses, or expect it or even ask or it to be honest..

I've now gone ahead on the purchase of a 2006 Merc C230 petrol. there is a known engine problem that may emerge in the next 20k or so miles, but I've got a 3 year warranty and the garage is agreeing to cover any excess if it fails (balance shaft). It's from Edge Cars in Pontypridd. They seem to be a very reputable and professional outfit.

Decision made now on that, for better or worse. Had to call time on the situation of car purchase taking over life for over a month..

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions since I first got on here..which must be exactly one month ago today..

Cheers

Paul
PaulieOfArrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulieOfArrod For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 20:48   #168
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieOfArrod View Post
....this morning the s60 was indeed finally collected and I was given a wad of cash.
Make sure the cash isn't forged....!!

All the best
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 20:56   #169
PaulieOfArrod

So Cynical, tut! How could you suggest such a thing! they've, in the end, been ok I guess. They tried to coerce and get me to keep the motor, but after that little battle I suppose I have to give them credit for seeing sense and concluding this reaonably and amicably. I think I'll even forget about the youtube "broadcast".
PaulieOfArrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulieOfArrod For This Useful Post: