Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Twin SUs overhaul

Views : 1803

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:56   #1
barrimore england davis

Can any one advise me please. In twin SU's the jet (needle) is supposed to bend slightly towards the engraved line on the brass retaining collar. I have no such markings on my pistons / pots. The manual shows it must bend to the right, when you have the tightening screw facing you. Surely with twin SU's this is OK for the left hand one, but the right( being the other way around) bends the opposite way?
Also the right hand pot will not sink fully, unless the nozzle (brass collar) has been nearly fully screwed out. Is this OK, as it must be 7 turns lower than the left hand pot..will this effect choking??

I am very frustrated and spent 5 hours trying to get them both to sink in tandem, and not leave a mm gap. I still get a very small gap on the right hand one, but no matter how many angles I move the needle, it will not sink fully with the brass nozzle in place (it does when the nozzle is removed !!)

Does this make any difference, or am I being too fussy ??

Thanks

Baz
Old May 7th, 2002, 10:18   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: Twin SUs overhaul

Are you sure about this bent needle ? I thought that kind of carb had to have dead straight needles otherwise they fouled the jet, which has to be centralised.
If you are saying you cannot make the needle clear the jet to let the piston fall unless you unscrew it fully, then you will seriously over-enrichen the mixture.
If SUs work like Strombergs then I can give a lot of advice on how to centralise and set up the jets. But they may as you say work in a different way.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 10:30   #3
barrimore england davis

I would have thought so as well, but the haynes manual show a picture of the pot with a bent needle (there may be two sorts??), as you say if the pot does not fall completely and the jet is wound out too far the mixture will be too rich...maybe buy a new needle??

Baz
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 21:19   #4
davemorris

Yes you are being too fussy.
But do try a differnt viscosity oil in the damper pots i.e heavier oil in the one that rises quicker.