Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Used Volvo V70's.....Why are they now selling for peanuts?

Views : 5689

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:35   #11
y2blade
Premier Member

it is NOT just Volvos..it is all big engined older cars...the car buying public have been brainwashed into wanting "green" cars

i was looking at a N plate Jaguar XJR 4 litre supercharged with 70k on it
and a P plate BMW 540 V8 with 90k and a W plate Audi A8 4.2 V8 with 105k

all could be had for around £3k

Last edited by y2blade; Sep 2nd, 2009 at 12:37.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:53   #12
Lmason
L Mason

Default yep, its not just volvo`s

it is the higher cc range, more powerfull cars. there difficult to sell second hand. why, cost of tax, and fuel, the government forcing us petrol heads to get smaller cars with putting up the tax bracket and tax on fuel.

i had a lovely 2.6 v6 vectra saloon from new in 2002, it was mint, rear seats unused etc mint underneath, inside and out, 5 years on in 2007, had a job selling it, eventually gone for £4150. wish id kept it now. sold it cos my dog was going crazy in the back, got a volvo estate, which cost me £3500 in just spare parts, and the dog still gone crazy, i thought it was the size of the car he was in.

i also own an economical 1700 diesel vauxhall, great on mpg, but yearly running costs work out more than my volvo, despite mpg, as they arent made to last as long and it cost more for repairs keep on having to renew parts, so having to sell, as i decided to get another volvo and cant afford to run 3 cars.

on top of that, its annoying in the 1700 greener car as i cant overtake the idiots who do 40mph in the 60mph zone, who also do 40 mph in the 30mph zone !!! arg!!
in the volvo, get past these dangerous drivers in the 60 zone no prob.

so me, will have to stick to my volvo turbo, unless i strike it lucky with the lottery (then i will get more volvo`s to polish to pass my time away!!)
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 13:01   #13
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have had a V70 D5 since new and for the last 55k miles have maintained it myself together with an evergrowing list of family and friends who also want their cars maintained for nothing . The V70 has cost the least out of all of them to keep on the road / passing mots / fuel and thats including two Fiestas , this forum has helped save me a fortune , I wouldnt have attempted some of the repairs without seeing another amateur like myself successfully manage it first and in addition there are some proffessional mechanics giving advice as well who have done most of these jobs several times over , if your physically fit enough you should try doing the maintenance yourself , last 12k service cost me £23.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 13:18   #14
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Another view of Volvo in this country would the fact that many see Volvo as a car for old gents with green wellies and a labrador.

Sad, but very true.

OT:
During the 80's in Sweden, Volvo developed a rather bad nick name, "sosse container" which basically means "Socialdemocrat container" refering to the Swedish government and the fact that over half of the population all drove Volvo's.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 13:23   #15
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Another view of Volvo in this country would the fact that many see Volvo as a car for old gents with green wellies and a labrador.

Sad, but very true.
i thought that was a "good" thing

PS i cant drive in my Agiles but the Hunters have a bit more feel through the sole so not a problem in those, I just have to make sure I am wearing the right pair if I am driving the guns around
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 16:47   #16
sierraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I think it's simply that it's nearly ten years old now with going on for 100k miles, so in many people's eyes it's nothing more than a banger. The new shape cars start at the same year as your classic so yours will also suffer by comparison.

At this end of the market cars tend to be bought on their capabilities, not their badge so unless it's a high performance or particularly desirable car I can't see a V70 classic is worth more than a couple of hundred more than a similar age and spec Mondeo estate.

I have to say too that £7500 sounds pretty steep for an old shape V70 even in 2005, was it very low milage?

Cheers,
John
Hi John
The car had 71,000 on the clock and that seemed to be the average price for one in decent condition at the time. My V70 is a seven seater if that adds anything to the value.
sierraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 17:01   #17
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraman View Post
Hi
I have a W reg 2000 V70 Classic that cost me £7500.00 in December 2005.
Holy crap!!!!

My 99 V70 cost me £325 in April 2007.. Ok I accept that I had a bit of a deal but, £7500 to my mind is waaay over the top! Even two years earlier, for a car that's a year younger..
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMad For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 17:12   #18
sierraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
hi, thought id comment on here, although the post may be under the wrong heading.
anyway, its not just the volvo`s going cheap, its all older cars now, and the thing which hasnt helped is all the new cars being made, there are just that many !! the government is encouraging new car sales, which they say new cars are cleaner and greeener. at my local dealers they are giving £2000 for your old car against a new one, and offering good finance deals so people get new cleaner for the enviroment cars, thus making second hand older cars worth less.
i know, it a load of old trollip, firstly, the dealers are just increasing the list price of their car, to compensate for the £2000 they give you for your old car.
and secondly, why is it typical of great britain to be so consciencious about the enviroment, when china and india, and the us are the top worst polluters of the world. why do we have to pay ££££ for catalytic converters on our cars. its not as if the air above the uk is going to be cleaner than the air above cina, india and the us !!
"green, cleen, enviroment" is just another set of words used to rip us off.
the government is trying to encourage us to use public transport as they say its greener, how many of us are nearly poisoned in our cars when behind a bus pulling away from the bus stop? there are more fumes come out of the bus in a few yards pulling away, than there is coming out of my car when driving it all day !! how these buses pass the emmissions test for the mot, its a joke !

also, going back the volvo` being "old" cars. these old cars the government is encouraging us to scrap for a modern, greener car, a/ i cant afford a greener car and b/ my "older" volvo car will outlive by far a newer greener car, so why get rid?
they have us by the short and curlys, putting the price of fuel up to try and force us to get rid of our juice guzzling, reliable, long lasting volvo, to buy a costly, greener, new car which wont last as long.

older cars were made to last, newer ones aint, for the reason of £££ for the government and £££ for the makers.
Hi
Many thanks for your input. What heading do you thing this post should be under?

I agree with almost everthing you said except the long lasting volvo bit. I would expect a volvo to be long lasting in every department (not just bodywork) However the mechanicals on V70's appear to be riddled with faults, Poor quality/not properly tested / experimental parts and silly prices. Externally Volvo's look good quality and the interiors are generally excellent. However if my car is anthing to go by (and judging others on here too) there won't be many around in years to come due to reliability issues.

Perhaps it is just me but i had always looked at volvo as a prestige high quality brand. You paid more for the quality and as such this was always reflected in their re-sale values. However this is no longer the case. Perhaps it is due to the new car situation but i can't help thinging that volvo has lost it's way, are riddled with inherent faults and the word is out!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 17:14   #19
sierraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraman View Post
Hi
Many thanks for your input. What heading do you thing this post should be under?

I agree with almost everthing you said except the long lasting volvo bit. I would expect a volvo to be long lasting in every department (not just bodywork) However the mechanicals on V70's appear to be riddled with faults, Poor quality/not properly tested / experimental parts and silly prices. Externally Volvo's look good quality and the interiors are generally excellent. However if my car is anthing to go by (and judging others on here too) there won't be many around in years to come due to reliability issues.

Perhaps it is just me but i had always looked at volvo as a prestige high quality brand. You paid more for the quality and as such this was always reflected in their re-sale values. However this is no longer the case. Perhaps it is due to the new car situation but i can't help thinging that volvo has lost it's way, are riddled with inherent faults and the word is out!
Oops..just noticed the spelling mistakes...or should that be typing errors...sorry
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 17:20   #20
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

my ten bob`s worth...........i had a 8 seater people carrier that was too big but iv got 2 babies under two so i had to look for a car with a big enough boot to hold a icandy pear double buggy thing.
i had a good look and come up with the v70 and its the best car iv had tbh!.
i felt the same about it being an "old farts" car lol but boy did i change my mind when i got in...... i went to look at a volvo diesel and id never drove one before.i had a good look round (as ya do) and decided to give it a run out.
id had the engine running a bit so it was slightly warm but nothing special,so
i took it out of the drive and turned left, then drove nice and gently listening to the auto box and any other knocks i could hear( as it had 190k on it!) and heard very little. then i got on a bit of straight road and booted it and i thought, JEEEEEEEESUS this can shift and give it some more.....

anyway, i bought it and imho, its one of the best cars iv had and it only cost me 1200 quid.... bargain if you ask me!....and has it made me change my mind about volvo`s????.... yes! definitely!!!....i am now a proud old fart and i dont care what anyone says about volvos being old, fat and slow gas guzzlers as its not exactly true....
my 2.5tdi did a good 36mpg(auto box) and a good 0-60 in under 8 secs(vid on youtube lol), but now iv bought a aaken smart box that gives it about 35bhp and loads more torque and now if i pull away and boot it, it spins and i get and even bigger JEEESUS(with a few expletives) from the passenger seat..

so my consensus is...... big fat comfy car thats good on fuel and can get all the family in and goes like stink for bugger all money...

suit`s me!.

Last edited by alv70d1999; Sep 3rd, 2009 at 17:23.
alv70d1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
why buy a volvo?