Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I avoid Summer tyres and get all-season ones?

Views : 1839

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:37   #11
k-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyfezf View Post
My opinion is that the weather is too mild here to make it worth it - they might be handy 1 month per year if you are lucky, and the rest of the time they will perform sub-optimaly in relation to a summer tyre.

If anything, I would buy some cheap steel wheels and put some proper winter tyres on, but then you live in the south, so still, its a lot of money and effort for something you will get very little use from... I would suggest a summer tyre that excels in wet weather would be the most sensible choise for the temperate British climate.

This article is quite interesting:
http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

EDIT: Ha! i just noticed the OP is a quote from the same article!
I've been thinking about this recently and I'm beginning to think that the opposite is actually true - summer tyres are obviously designed to work in reasonable warm conditions - and in the UK (up here anyway) it is actually cool and damp for more of the year than warm and dry - I'm thinking that all season tyres would be a more sensible choice for the average conditions and then winter tyres for 4 months or so.
k-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 13:43   #12
mattyfezf
v70 Awd T se

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
I've been thinking about this recently and I'm beginning to think that the opposite is actually true - summer tyres are obviously designed to work in reasonable warm conditions - and in the UK (up here anyway) it is actually cool and damp for more of the year than warm and dry - I'm thinking that all season tyres would be a more sensible choice for the average conditions and then winter tyres for 4 months or so.
thats fine if you dont mind inferior tyres for the majority of the time. Even this winter we had days where the temperature was relatively high - where all season tyres would be putting you at a disadvantage.

It just isnt worth it in England, in my opinion.

It's funny how a few years ago, the phrase 'summer' tyres was pretty much unheard of, they were just tyres. All of a sudden seasonal tyres are a must have? im still of the opinion that a suitable high quality regular tyre is all you need.
mattyfezf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 15:43   #13
dabrovsky

Default never drive on all season

All season tyres are not good at all.
They not good in the winter and not good in the summer!
I have got experience as I come from east Europe and we change tyres twice a year.
The best option for you is have two sets of tyres: summer on your alloys and second set of winter on steel rims. Easy way to change and less risk of damage alloys in the winter.
Hope it helps.
dabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote