Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599367

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2019, 21:55   #2201
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
Turnwood,

Just wondering if you have you had the timing and aux belts done yet?

Cheers.
Not yet - will get done at the next service in 4K miles. I read elsewhere on the forum that the interval has now been reduced to 10 years or 90k miles. It was 144k miles but has changed since my last service at 126k miles.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 20:18   #2202
John90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis77 View Post
I’ve just had the check engine light come on. My car is a 2014 S60 D4 with around 80,000 miles. It has full Volvo service history and I’m wondering if there is any way of knowing if this work has been done before?
Have a look at the top rad hose. If it has a t-piece in it then it has already had the Re-design fitted.
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 21:09   #2203
afeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Have a look at the top rad hose. If it has a t-piece in it then it has already had the Re-design fitted.
This is a D3 engine.
Is this the updated version already with the T-Pipe you mentioned?

https://ibb.co/Hr6hCYk
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:34   #2204
Haggis77

Quote:
Thanks appreciate that. I’m sitting in the dealer now and it’s actually linked to the recall so they are replacing the manifold intake (?) will check the valves (and rebook be in for them to be replaced of required) and told me I’ll still have to wait for the recall when they devise a solution!
Haggis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 21:57   #2205
John90

Quote:
The snake oil fix was only semi - permanent, with the light coming back on after just under 3k miles, so it is going in for investigation tomorrow while also having recall done. Will update on what they say, hopefully a very positive experience!
I am very happy to report that Volvo did the recall fix as planned and the investigation confirmed the issue was the EGR valve and cooler and both were replaced despite being just out of the warranty period. I am obviously delighted with this and it has restored my faith in Volvo. Hopefully many more happy miles ahead now, fingers crossed
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 21:58   #2206
apsel

Quote:
I am very happy to report that Volvo did the recall fix as planned and the investigation confirmed the issue was the EGR valve and cooler and both were replaced despite being just out of the warranty period. I am obviously delighted with this and it has restored my faith in Volvo. Hopefully many more happy miles ahead now, fingers crossed
Did your garage tell you what the "recall fix" actually is, because as far as I can tell they have not announced this yet and are not calling cars in for a fix, until the fix is developed and I guess some parts are available?

My car is starting to run rough which may or not be related to the recall, but am holding off taking the car in to try and get everything done in one go.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 16:15   #2207
SeaShell

Car back today after having the head removed and all the bits and bobs replaced.

Didn't realise how badly it had been running until I got it back repaired....however it is now making a strange 'induction' whistling noise on acceleration.

Back in tomorrow for another look...

Had a V40 Inscription T3 Geartronic as a loan car for the week. Very nice car indeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaShell For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 21:29   #2208
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Our 2014 V60 D4 was serviced by Volvo last month and then went back for a replacement inlet manifold, the missus says since the manifold was replaced the car has stalled 4 or 5 times when setting off and struggled at low revs quite a few times where as it would’ve been fine before. Does anyone know if this could be caused by the replacement manifold? We’ve had no engine light or other symptoms. Car is on 46k and does 40 miles a day, it’s her car and I’m very rarely in it, I haven’t been in the car when it’s played up so I’m only going on what she’s told me.
Thanks, Luke
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 11:15   #2209
Rocinante
Master Member

Does the new (2018>) V60 share the same D4 engine as the last generation (2011-2018) displaying these EGR issues, and should you therefore expect similar issues, if there isn't a proper fix ?

Or has this part of the engine fundamentally changed ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 13:31   #2210
ChrisFromFrance

Hello
I think so, because the recall letter from Volvo was for all 4 cylinders diesel engines produced from 2014 to 2019.
Regards
Chris

-----
still burning 1 oil liter each 1000 kilometers !