Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No start Ignition fault

Views : 333

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 22:31   #1
Veetu

Default No start Ignition fault

Wonder if any other members can give some advise on this issue. A few weeks ago my V50 2.4 Petrol started giving trouble with erratic starting. The ignition plastic key when turned on would show the panel light up but the starter would not crank. However it would start on the 3rd or 4th attempt.

As of yesterday it's gone totally dead. When the key is turned to start mode, you can hear the safety switch witch click on the gear stick but no starter

The ignition key when turned to level 2 lights up the dash but the fuel gage does not move. (Some one suggested this could be a wiring issue)

No starter engagement ether.

Opened the connector box under the glove box but nothing unusual.

Since there is no fuel gage movement and no starting, what could the issue be?Is it the dreaded hey switch?

Many thanks for any inputs.

Battery is fully charged.
Veetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 09:10   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285582
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 09:44   #3
Veetu

Many thanks for this. I will try to go through it and see if my issue is the key module , software or cable. The main significant point is that while at pos 2 or 3 the fuel gage needle does not move. WOnder if this helps in figuring out the issue in terms of a bad key unit or a box cable issue. Saves time in redundant work opening the key module.

thanks
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 09:45   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetu View Post
Wonder if any other members can give some advise on this issue. A few weeks ago my V50 2.4 Petrol started giving trouble with erratic starting. The ignition plastic key when turned on would show the panel light up but the starter would not crank. However it would start on the 3rd or 4th attempt.

As of yesterday it's gone totally dead. When the key is turned to start mode, you can hear the safety switch witch click on the gear stick but no starter

The ignition key when turned to level 2 lights up the dash but the fuel gage does not move. (Some one suggested this could be a wiring issue)

No starter engagement ether.

Opened the connector box under the glove box but nothing unusual.

Since there is no fuel gage movement and no starting, what could the issue be?Is it the dreaded hey switch?

Many thanks for any inputs.

Battery is fully charged.
Typical symptom of a faulty ignition switch , That is certainly the first path to follow , It can easily be verified with the volvo diagnostic software at the dealer. Or just change the switch no software needed .Volvo modified the reliability of this switch twice over the years ..
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 11:17   #5
Veetu

Smile Luck

Many tks for the link. Here is a positive update.

I checked the relay for the starter and swapped the ECM and Starter relay that are similar.

Started up 1st time. Seems there was a dry contact in the relay terminals.

Will keep you posted if any new dramas.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 12:28   #6
Veetu

Default Latest update

Hi and thanks for all the replies. Latest update is that it worked a few times and now dead again.

So the main point of investigation is that when the key is moved from position 1 to 2, there is no change in the dials on the dash. When it moves to 2, you can hear the clicking in the gear box. I removed the cap of the Starter motor relay and tried to press the clip to trigger the starter. It cranks but engine does not fire up.

After a bit of struggle I did manage to remove the ignition switch. Maybe a dead end, but will try to swap it and see if it helps to start it up.

ANy other suggestions before I get the switch are welcome.

Hope it does not end being some loose cable somewhere that stops the ignition circuits at position 2 come alive?