Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 7212

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2023, 21:47   #21
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
So, bit of an update.

Had the filler neck replaced today which is a full day job as the entire tank is dropped out underneath the car. Volvo assured me this will have fixed the problem (I think you see where this is going)

Filled up at a station I've never used before to rule out that factor, and guess what, the petrol fountain once again decided to put on a little show for me covering the car, floor, and me, in petrol. Not impressed. Annoyingly I didn't think to take a video, although I don't know if the forecourt attendant may have said something if I was stood next to the car with my phone out.

Ringing Volvo tomorrow to give them the good news and ask where we go from here, although what else it could be I don't know. What I am curious about is if the filler neck includes the top flap mechanism where the nozzle first goes it. The rubber drain plug as been replaced and the new one is white and not black, so maybe the filler neck is one complete item, but if so, why is it still doing it?

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks for private message. That's very disappointing. Mine is booked in early October, will also let you know how it went.
Please write again what they said when you call again!
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 09:06   #22
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Thanks for private message. That's very disappointing. Mine is booked in early October, will also let you know how it went.
Please write again what they said when you call again!
Will do 👍🏻

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2023, 08:42   #23
Yelper85

Quote:
Will do 👍🏻
Car is booked in for Thursday 5th October at the same Volvo dealer. Apparently this time they are going to hook it up to the computer, fill it up at the petrol station and see what happens as well as what the computer says.

As to what, if any sensors are in the fuel pipe, I don't know, and are they purely measurement or are they control devices? If measuring level and pressure, fine, but they doesn't stop the flow unless there's a solenoid that closes to then force the fuel pump nozzle to stop breathing and thus cut off.

I also asked if the first flap/mechanism you see when you open the filling flap gets replaced, and apparently it doesn't, so I've asked the question of what's inside that first flap and could that somehow let the nozzle breathe even if the main flap further down (the one that was replaced) is working correctly.

Old Sep 30th, 2023, 09:48   #24
Dolphin10

Quote:
Car is booked in for Thursday 5th October at the same Volvo dealer. Apparently this time they are going to hook it up to the computer, fill it up at the petrol station and see what happens as well as what the computer says.

As to what, if any sensors are in the fuel pipe, I don't know, and are they purely measurement or are they control devices? If measuring level and pressure, fine, but they doesn't stop the flow unless there's a solenoid that closes to then force the fuel pump nozzle to stop breathing and thus cut off.

I also asked if the first flap/mechanism you see when you open the filling flap gets replaced, and apparently it doesn't, so I've asked the question of what's inside that first flap and could that somehow let the nozzle breathe even if the main flap further down (the one that was replaced) is working correctly.
Good Luck. Mine went to the dealer for its annual service so I mentioned this and a couple of other issues to investigate and guess what? Yep...."No Fault Found" they said and were at pains to explain to me that with the new double flap system on SPA cars what I describe was very unlikely or it was the forecourt pump (three different ones ) at fault...."but if it does it again, be sure to bring it back in they said".....I feel very reassured that it wont happen again....not! I just dont fill it up to the top any more.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 16:21   #25
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin10 View Post
Good Luck. Mine went to the dealer for its annual service so I mentioned this and a couple of other issues to investigate and guess what? Yep...."No Fault Found" they said and were at pains to explain to me that with the new double flap system on SPA cars what I describe was very unlikely or it was the forecourt pump (three different ones ) at fault...."but if it does it again, be sure to bring it back in they said".....I feel very reassured that it wont happen again....not! I just dont fill it up to the top any more.
I'll definitely get it resolved even if I have to take it to head office as I'm not accepting a car that want's to soak me in petrol. Volvo are the most safety conscious of all the manufacturers and if enough of us complain with the same issue it will eventually get noticed.

I'll definitely let you know once mine gets resolved because you can use my case as an example and justification for it to be fixed free of charge, plus many recalls end up coming to light when enough people push the issue.

My wife did say why don't we just not fill the car to the top, unfortunately the engineer in me won't allow for such a resolution

Old Oct 1st, 2023, 21:26   #26
Dolphin10

My wife did say why don't we just not fill the car to the top, unfortunately the engineer in me won't allow for such a resolution [/QUOTE]

You are correct and I shouldnt accept it. When I pressed them on the investigation all they'd done was check for fault codes...I wonder if there is one? What would it say?...

On the few occasions I have needed to talk to the service dept I just feel fobbed off. "it must be you Sir...You must be doing it wrong.. Or the pump must be faulty! Cant possibly be the car...." If there was another dealer reasonably close I might have tried elsewhere for a second opinion but alas its a bit of a hike to the big city...keen to know how you get on.

Ill put some old shoes on and try filling it up again! Think Ive got a video camera somewhere thats not a phone....
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 08:23   #27
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin10 View Post
You are correct and I shouldnt accept it. When I pressed them on the investigation all they'd done was check for fault codes...I wonder if there is one? What would it say?...
My dealer has said this time they will hook the computer up whilst filling the car up, so my assumption is there must be sensors which is why I talked about are they purely measurement or control, so if it stores a fault it's purely a measured fault and not the fault of a control issue.

However as you've said, this came from a service personnel, so chances are there's no sensors in in there at all and it's just a way to appease people who don't question it. Problem there is, I'm a Control and Software Engineer by trade, so I can smell that kind of BS a mile away, plus I can't let things like this just slide, just isn't in me (unfortunately to some degree! )

Last edited by Yelper85; Oct 2nd, 2023 at 08:25.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 12:17   #28
Franko1960

Quote:
My dealer has said this time they will hook the computer up whilst filling the car up, so my assumption is there must be sensors which is why I talked about are they purely measurement or control, so if it stores a fault it's purely a measured fault and not the fault of a control issue.

However as you've said, this came from a service personnel, so chances are there's no sensors in in there at all and it's just a way to appease people who don't question it. Problem there is, I'm a Control and Software Engineer by trade, so I can smell that kind of BS a mile away, plus I can't let things like this just slide, just isn't in me (unfortunately to some degree! )
On a different issue, inside my fuel cap always gets filled up with water when there is heavy rain. Anyone else had this?
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 12:38   #29
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
On a different issue, inside my fuel cap always gets filled up with water when there is heavy rain. Anyone else had this?
There's a little drain plug that is probably clogged up stick something through to clean it out.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 13:50   #30
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
There's a little drain plug that is probably clogged up stick something through to clean it out.
I used Strimmer wire. Worked a treat.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: