Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The new C70 Coupe

Views : 1192

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 23:03   #1
Viking V40
Still hanging in there

Smile The new C70 Coupe

I got a chance to go along to my local Volvo dealers new C70 launch on Thursday evening .

It was held in a restaurant of all places so there were bites to eat and drinks available too.

The lights were dimmed and the car was shrouded behind a dry-ice mist and there was some dramatic music in the background. It's various lights were switched on then small spotlights alternatively illuminated various corners and curves of the car's bodywork, finishing with the hard-top being lowered.

The hardtop mechanism looks like an engineer's dream, if you get a chance, go and check this car out...
Viking V40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 23:08   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

We have a couple in at work and i must say i really do like them, there has been alot of work put into that hood.

I've also had the oppitunity to drive one and i have to say they are alot better to drive than the old one
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:45   #3
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
We have a couple in at work and i must say i really do like them, there has been alot of work put into that hood.

I've also had the oppitunity to drive one and i have to say they are alot better to drive than the old one
Hi.
Having been to the dealers over the weekend to check one of these out, I can only say how right I was in my assumptions.
The car *really is* just an S40 with a designer suit. That is a good thing in so far as the handling may be concerned, but *everyone* I spoke about it (staff and members of the public) to agreed it should have been called the C50.
The rear seat space is for children only unless everyone you know is less than 5'4" and the styling is wrong somehow. Either way it just doesn't give me the same 'WANT ONE' feeling I got from the original C70.
The roof is a marvel to behold and is apparently operated by cables (which I was told means fewer servos are required) and is a real joy to watch, it is very smooth and quiet. Mind you, the tech whom I was speaking to whilst there, let me in on the fact he was 'thinking ahead' maybe a few months (or hopefully years) and wondering what headaches that roof will bring with it.
A nice car to be sure, but not big enough or stylish enough to be the real successor to the 'Original and Best' C70 for me.
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:58   #4
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
The roof is a marvel to behold and is apparently operated by cables ....
Date...about 5 years from now.
Location...the Volvo C70 forum

"I was driving my 2006 C70 along and heard a sudden TWANG!

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 16:05   #5
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach
Date...about 5 years from now.
Location...the Volvo C70 forum

"I was driving my 2006 C70 along and heard a sudden TWANG!
Lol.

I sincerely hope it doesn't get to that and I also hope they really did get the engineering right.
Otherwise if the roof develops problems and they are widespread, you will not be able to sell the car for love nor money in a few years.
Can't be any worse than the new Astra with a 3 piece roof mind...........
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 22:31   #6
doorman

Cool

I've had a test drive, check out the following thread;
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=17445
and view the pics in the Gallery.
Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 23:17   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

Thats what we said about roof, "bet there intresting when they go wrong"

Its cable and hydrolics aswell btw
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 18:31   #8
homer timpson

Saw one yesterday in the showroom whilst waiting for our service - gorgeous looking car - but what a horrendous aerial

It absolutely looks like an afterthought in the design stages - pity really when the old style cars on the forecourt all had electric retractables as is needed on the new model.

A vandals dream - and to quote the showroom staff "it's the sort of aerial you'd expect to see on an 80's Fiesta, not a 30K peice of engineering"

Homer
homer timpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:01   #9
chriskay

Agree about the aerial; maybe Volvo are going to offer a retracting one for about £1000. Drove the so-called T5 last week; what a disappointment, only 220 BHP. It's not a real T5 at all, just the 2.5 LPT. Apart from that, I liked it & the Geartronic box seemed O.K.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 17:39   #10
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

I asked them about the aerial when I saw the pre-prod cars in Marlow last year (and they seemed to be expecting the question!). Apparently they wanted an aerial-free car (like the S60, V70, S40 etc) but couldn't put it in the bumper (where I think the S60's is) for a reason I forget, the rear screen wasn't possible as you lost the signal as soon as it got into the boot, and they tried the front screen but couldn't get a decent signal all the time - hence the final result. Don't know why they didn't go for an electric option, though. Let's hope this is something they keep working on because...well Homer Timpson put it perfectly.

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote