Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Comfort / V50 2.0d / D5

Views : 8396

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 21:09   #61
tayandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by r30ser View Post
Hi All,

I recently took a V50 2.0D Powershift for a 30-40 minute drive, in town, dual carriageway and motorway, but struggled to achieve 40mpg, even on the motorway.
Is this a normal figure? Its seems no better than a D5.
I would be interested in peoples thoughts.
I've got a C30 2.0D powershift, 45mpg in mixed town/open road is easily acheivable. Taking it easy 65ish on motorways get's closer to 50mpg. Drove to Oxford (300 odd miles) at 75mph most of the way and MPG was around 45mph, came home at 80mph and mpg dropped to 40.

With D5 and Geartronic you will see figues around 5mpg lower than a 2.0D.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 17:53   #62
pont

I too have a back issue, a rather serious one, and I would recommend you stick to the v70. Any age, they will always give the right posture. The v50 has a shorter base.
pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 18:34   #63
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I've been in S60/V70 seats... and S40 obviously.

S60/V70 quite a bit more 'plush' and supportive, but basically pretty much the same.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 22:13   #64
r30ser
Wanting a Volvo

Thanks for the info.

I am looking for one that does a decent mpg.

Any ideas which V70 engine to get?
It must be an automatic
r30ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 22:19   #65
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I am looking for one that does a decent mpg.

Any ideas which V70 engine to get?
It must be an automatic
It has to be the 2003-4 V70 D5 163 bhp
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 22:42   #66
SeekingV70

Quote:
Hi All,

I currently have a 55Reg 2.0D DSG Golf, and want to change for a Volvo.

My reason for changing is comfort, is a V50 good for a bad back, how does it compare to larger V70?

I really like the R-Design, are the seats any good? do they get grubby quick?
Would I be better off with a normal leather seat or no leather?
Ignore my profile name; I'm actually in the market for a V50.

I originally wanted a Merc C-Class because I like their autos (much nicer than the Geartronic IMHO). However, I'm "hyper-extensive" according to my doctor (i.e. over flexible) and my back can relax into awkward positions if I'm not supported properly. I quickly found out the Merc seats were just plan awful and gave me twinges in my back on short test drives.

I then had a V50 on hire for a long weekend and did 750 miles in the space of a couple of days. Not a back problem at all and, in fact, seat almost felt more comfy as time went on.

I actually get to drive a lot of hire cars for my job and, for me at least, there is no doubt the V50 has the best seats of all the (new) Golfs, Astras, Focuses, Mondeos, Insignias, Jags, Mercs that I've driven.

One thing I would point out though is that the seat is notably narrow compared to some cars due to the hefty side bolsters. I'm sure I read this is partly a SIPS thing on the V50. Anyway, I'm a slender chap so this doesn't effect me and I'm nicely anchored inbetween. However, some bigger-boned types may not be so comfy. The V70 doesn't have this issue as the seats are wider in general.

Oh, and I've noticed the electric driver's seat has a greater range of adjustment of the tilt of the seat cushion than the manual one, which can be more like sitting in a bucket.

Last edited by SeekingV70; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 22:50.
SeekingV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 23:13   #67
SeekingV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It has to be the 2003-4 V70 D5 163 bhp
When I was conidering a V70 auto myself, this is what I was looking for. But I was put off by all the failed autoboxes on the early models. Did that not apply to 2003-4?
SeekingV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:01   #68
Clan
Experienced Member

Failed autoboxes are a rare occurance , it seems they all turn up on here but out in the real mass world not a big problem . Just make sure it works properly and the fluid is a shade of red ... Get fault codes checked and Gearbox software upgraded . Then change fluid for good measure .
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:30   #69
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I am after some advise.

My reason for changing is comfort, is a V50 good for a bad back, how does it compare to larger V70?

I am looking at a used V50 2.0D Powershift or the D5 Geatronic.

My concern is MPG, can anybody give me an idea of figures?

I would appreciate anyones comments.

Thanks

Andy
Agree with clan here. I would go for a late 163bhp D5, 03-04 or as late as you can find before they changed to the new engine.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 14:18   #70
jon1109

Smile

Hi Andy I have an 09 model R-Design Sport 2.0D. I find the seats to be very comfortable, but the r-design cream leather is a pain to keep clean and the grey imitation side leather is prone to cracking. I have just this weekend changed to all leather seats and find them much firmer and even more comfy than the original r-design seats. The suspension on the r-design is low and very firm, so over rough surfaces can be very harsh, but on good roads it is a very smooth ride. I find I get around high 40's to low 50's MPG on average, on a long run this can be much better and the 2.0 D is a very responsive and reliable engine. The only problems I have had are wheel bearings and A/C which appears to be normal on the V 50, the warranty on the bearings are 3 years and A/C I believe has now been extended to 5 years because of the problems with it. Oh and I have an SRS air bag urgent service warning light on the dash as a result of changing the seats, even though I disconnected the battery earth and left it for 5 minutes before I started as per owners manual! I think this will need to be re-set at the dealers, unless any one can advise differently? Regards John.
Quote:
Hi All,

I am after some advise.

I am looking at a used V50 2.0D Powershift or the D5 Geatronic.

My concern is MPG, can anybody give me an idea of figures?

I would appreciate anyones comments.

Thanks

Andy
jon1109 is offline   Reply With Quote