Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Quality Sensor

Views : 2561

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2009, 21:23   #1
7050man
Master Member

Default Air Quality Sensor

My car has done 75k miles and one thing I've noticed recently is that the auto air recirculation when in traffic doesn't seem to work like it used to.

I suspect that perhaps the air quality sensor may be contaminated and not sensing correctly.

Has anyone else noticed this symptom and resoved the problem?

Also from looking through the Haynes manual, it looks like the dash has to come out to get to it. Is this also correct or is there another way?

If this is the case, then it will have to stay unfixed, but if it's possible to get to it with out dash being touched, then I would like it working again.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 22:57   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Nope, no dash removal to reach the AQS.

It governs the air quality coming in from outside the car so logically it will be positioned outside the cabin, specifically in the air blower beneath the windshield in the engine bay, so to reach it, all you need to do is remove the windscreen wipers and the cowl, ie. the black plastic strip under the wiper arms.

There are four clips and two catches holding the cowl in place, it can be easily removed. Under it on one side /can't remember which side/ is the air blower with the AQS in its intake, you'll know it by sound once you turn on the blower inside the car.

Testing funcionality would be by spraying something smelly close to it but NOT directly on it! you will see that the air intake guards/dampers close automatically.

But i don't which odors trigger it's function, amonia and diesel fumes for sure.

Last edited by Guru; Mar 15th, 2009 at 22:59.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:16   #3
7050man
Master Member

Thanks, when I get a spare half hour I'll have a look and let you know how I get on.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 12:29   #4
rowntree

Unhappy Air quality sensor

hi

I also have had a code come up saying air quality sensor fault have taken it off today and had a price from volvo for the part which is very small £130.00 so ive put it back on for now.
rowntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 19:36   #5
WFOLD

"to reach it, all you need to do is remove the windscreen wipers and the cowl, ie. the black plastic strip under the wiper arms."

Just tried this and it does't work. You can see it but to remove it you need to get under the dashboard somehow (S40 2005 T5)
WFOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 16:06   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFOLD View Post
"to reach it, all you need to do is remove the windscreen wipers and the cowl, ie. the black plastic strip under the wiper arms."

Just tried this and it does't work. You can see it but to remove it you need to get under the dashboard somehow (S40 2005 T5)
Was looking into this module myself, some time ago but price for it made me forefit the replacement. For that money I can switch internal circulation with my finger any given day

To get to sensor you need to remove glove box.
as per Vida:
1) Remove glove compartment
2) The air quality sensor (AQS) is located in front of the damper motor module (DMM) recirculation.
Turn the air quality sensor (AQS) approximately 60 degrees counter-clockwise.
Disconnect the connector.

EDIT - oh, forgot to mention. VIda specifies there must be CCM reprogramming done after AQS is replaced. I am not sure if thats something tghat require software download or just Vida+DiCE recalibration. Hopefully the latter.

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jun 18th, 2018 at 16:10.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote