Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatics, how do you pull away quickly?

Views : 10620

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2013, 22:38   #1
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Default Automatics, how do you pull away quickly?

Evening folks. I'm a relative newbie to the world of automatic gearboxes. In fact until about 6 weeks ago, I'd never driven anything with an automatic gearbox (my Thomas moped that I had when I was 16 doesn't count).

So quick question. My car is plenty lively enough for me, once she's moving. From about 15mph she accelerates very well indeed. But how do you quickly get off from a standing start?

I'm not talking about drag racing or anything mental. I just mean getting out at busy junctions when you see a gap coming, and you want to jump into it and quickly match the speed. In a manual, you're ready in first, clutch down, pick the revs up a bit, and then with good balance of clutch and throttle you get get out as fast as possible without doing a wheel spin. In an auto there is no clutch.

I know its almost certainly a daft question, but is there some technique I've not figured out? One of my mates suggested I wait in neutral, pick the revs up then slam it into drive, but that doesn't sound healthy to me, and another mate says that would be about the quickest way to destroy the gearbox.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rippedoffagain For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:42   #2
rubythursday

put the pedal to the metal!
rubythursday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubythursday For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:45   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

The latter friend is right, putting the gearbox into Drive with the ngine revving will definatly do it damage.

Setting off quickly is just the same as a manual, the toque converter means your already at the biting point, so all you need to do is apply the throttle as much as you need.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:46   #4
stephend
Premier Member

Dunno if this helps, but on some automatics I've driven, when you select drive, there's a short delay, then you feel a clutch engage. I found that the trick for a smooth getaway was to wait for that before pressing the throttle. If you didn't, it engaged with a bang. The trick to pull away at the moment you want is to anticipate it, so that the clutch is engaging just as you want it to. At that point, you ought to be able to give it the beans, and get smooth acceleration.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:50   #5
Backhill1
Master Member

whatever you do only select drive with the revs at idle the revving and selecting drive is shock loading the box and putting stress on the internal clutch pack. Possibly could
Result in turbine shaft failure.
Really the best advice is to sink the boot and let the speeds within the torque converter up to the power area and should match a manual. 0-60 will be similar I feel it's just smoother and a little more relaxed but prob not much in it.
If you wanted to maximise take off- not advisable on a regular basis as it generates a lot of heat you could "stall the transmission" ie sit in drive on the breaks with a bit more revs. This causes the pump and turbine to work against each other, as soon as you allow your foot of the breaks your off. a bit like over revving a manual. Might save a fraction of a second or two. Prob best to practice before trying it at a junction.

Again my advise is to just plant it and let the box do the work.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:50   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Stephend, modern auto's are designed to be left in Drive all the time unless your stopped, ie parked not at the lights. So there's no need to wait for it to engage as you should already be in gear.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:53   #7
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubythursday View Post
put the pedal to the metal!
That's the approach I've been taking When I come out of work there is a private road (coming off site), then a busy roundabout. I've got it down to 3 different tricks depending on the situation on the day.

1. If I'm lucky, I'll see the gap coming when I'm still about 30 yards from the junction, so I can time it such that I can get a rolling start when I jump in. Or...

2. We get a lot of lorries turning right at the junction where I want to turn left. If I'm lucky there'll be one there when I'm ready. They just go when they fancy, because everyone stops for a lorry, so I use it as a barrier and match it, and just come out with it and turn left or....

3. If all else fails, wait for the gap from a standing start, floor the throttle and just hold it on full throttle and hope for the best. Like I say, once she's up to about 15 mph, the revs get high enough for some actual power to develop and then she's away.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 22:59   #8
Daim
Brit in Germany

If you still want to pull away comfortably without a kick in your neck, chuck in in W (if possible) and then push firmly. You pull away fast but not with that kick in your neck.
Old May 9th, 2013, 23:31   #9
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

on my previous auto's 740, 850 and s80 If I wanted a really quick gettaway , I'd put my left foot on the brake and gently take the revs up on the throttle, , when you let off the brake you were off faster than any manual, now my current car has a geartronic box, if you want instant take off, forget it, I just sit there and wait for a bigger gap in the traffic
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 23:59   #10
Lgbpop

You do NOT want to do a neutral drop (rev in Neutral, shift into Drive at revs) because that can and will destroy your transmission. There is no way to compensate for lack of some revs and a clutch pedal beneath your foot....however, you are the master of your vehicle - not the other way around. Simply shift your automatic manually. I lock out O/D, and start in 1 at a light. While my lack of low-end torque hurts, once I'm at about 20mph (35kph for y'all over there) the engine enters the sweet spot between the horsepower peak and the torque peak and acceleration is enthusiastic, if not neck-snapping. Upshift by ear, unless you have a tach (I haven't one) and mind the yellow line. Upshift into O/D around 60mph / 100kph.

I make 0-60mph (0-100kph to you all) in about 9 seconds, believe it or not. I learned from friend's errors, redlining a B230 isn't a good idea and that goes for any other Volvo engine that I know of. This particular engine is very forgiving, to the point of masochistic, but I would like to make it last.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote