Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a car that was a rental...?

Views : 4338

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 08:41   #11
chrisfr

Rental cars do get a beating. What is the difference in price between a retail non remtal and the car you are being offered in the same spec,milage,age. Dealers talk up cars even if they are dogs.
The only time i have really found a bargain is when a new model is being introduced amd some dealers need to shed stock to accept qotas of the new range.
We have done this three times, once with a renault laguna, when the new laguna was being launched the dealers were required to accept cetain quotas of the new model and got a five thousand pound discount. This was a thirty percent reduction! Once with a renault kangoo, which is a runabout, and once recently with a volvoxc60 in january, when the xc50 was being launched. I got a used demonstrator which was one of the last of the old shape. The difference in price was about four thousand between dealers for the same car ,spec and age. The car was reduced on a friday by 3900 ( getting on for a 20% reduction) and i bought it on line as i had been watching the dealers for months and it was a bargain. It still seems to be worth more that i paid for it after six months based on dealer prices.
Some people swear by ex rental cars, but some also swear at them if they choose a bad one. Have an rac and an aa report on it to find every little thing wrong and haggle like hell even if its to get a set of mats or a tank of fuel.
Check the panel gaps for accident damage and try to get someone who knows how to spot accident damage. If anything is wrong walk away. Good luck.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 09:34   #12
biggbn
I've Been Banned

As I said in another thread, I have owned upwards of 200 cars, sounds like a ridiculous claim but I have a list! I used to buy and sell as an interesting hobby, borderline classic or wholly strange cars, so am no stranger to buying and judging a car. Car has been in private hands for four years and still only shows 20k miles at 6 years old, and does look immaculate, but, caveat emptor as ever. There are thousands of cars around.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 10:23   #13
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Am I the only one on the forum who has rented a car and then not driven it at 100mph in first before smearing faeces all over it?
I and my wife and daughter have had rental cars on a few occasions, all of them have been clean and tidy, worked properly and they've been driven with due regard, on the other hand my sister's car which she bought ex demonstrator I wouldn't touch, one lady owner but totally abused.
Dave, this is me as well. I couldn't be nicer to a rental car. I don't want it to break on me so I am as good as gold in one. When you hand one back you have to fill the petrol tank anyway so no way am I doing 80mph in 2nd gear.

I don't see people thrashing Beetle's so I don't see that being a problem. More of a problem to me is the low mileage for the age of the car. That would worry me slightly, I know that is odd but cars do need to be driven, particularly diesel cars. If you are okay with that aspect then the rental bit would not bother me.

Now, if it was a Ford Focus, VW Golf etc I would not touch it with a barge pole but a Beetle, fine.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 12:48   #14
m0bzy
Master Member

Having worked for a rental company I would not hesitate to buy on a mechanical basis ,however I have had to pry dirty nappies frozen to the carpets ,and clear the result of not having used a nappy. Spilt milk can soak into carpets (family pic-nic) and unless profesionaly cleaned will sour and stink to high heaven.
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 13:21   #15
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I wouldnt pay top dollar for an ex rental, but if the price and condition are right, youll not know the difference. Dealers ? Why bother with them ? Why do people feel its so important to line the pockets of spivs and parasites ? Plenty of company/fleet cars at auction, where the price often is right. You can even buy a warranty if you're too scared not to have one.

From experience - I have bought 2 ex rentals, both under a year old, both with remains of original manufacturers warranty. First was from auction, just over half price at 11 months old and normal miles. Good car. Second was via Rovers staff discount scheme, which was open to lots of people, my dad has a few shillings a month from Hawker Siddleys pension scheme..... These were bought via local main dealer, what a bunch of arrogant lying w@nkers, minor faults were made worse, ended up complaining to Rover who at that stage werent going bust. Still, once sorted it too was a good car, kept it 7 years, bought a 75.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 13:55   #16
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I think most people these days look after Tehran cars more than they would their own car for fear of being hit with big charges.

I think that when new, a variety of different drivers and driving styles really do an engine the world of good rather than being driven by the same person in the same way they get to bed in properly throughout the rev range.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 19:12   #17
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Thanks for all replies, viewing car Saturday, and a Hyundai ix35 with 48k miles, although I would like a lower mileage example
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 14:31   #18
Grimble
Grimble

I regularly hire cars (usually from airports) and given the scrutiny they receive when handing back, I'm far more careful driving it than if it was my own. also as I'm a bit less familiar with it, it also translates to a bit more caution. So no problem in principle from me.
We bough an ex rental car via Arnold Clark for my missus. She does so few miles that within one year of ownership the car was at average mileage, and within two years old it was well below.
No problems whatsoever. As previous posters have said, go with your eyes open and prejudices closed.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 14:53   #19
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
I regularly hire cars (usually from airports) and given the scrutiny they receive when handing back, I'm far more careful driving it than if it was my own. also as I'm a bit less familiar with it, it also translates to a bit more caution. So no problem in principle from me.

+1.

I always drive my own vehicles carefully but with a hire car I'm almost paranoid about being careful with it so as to not get hit with any penalties on handing it back.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 15:44   #20
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

I worked for a large company that refurbished rental vehicles from the major players, Hertz etc - the vehicles were from all major manufacturers and usually came in with less than 12,000 miles and uuner a year old.

They were inspected and any issues found were corrected - the facility had a paint line so any damaged panels could be replaced and resprayed, and damaged alloys, windscreens etc were replaced.

The vehicles were then put up for sale to Dealers, and transported around the country.

I retired from the business 10 years ago, but generally ex-rental cars are OK to buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuffolkBoy For This Useful Post: