Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aliexpress replacement key shell

Views : 754

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2020, 21:07   #1
dirtyC30

Default Aliexpress replacement key shell

I've got a C30 with 2 keys and it seems like the previous owner used both regularly as both are showing considerable wear - nothing outrageous though for a 9 year old key, certainly not falling apart.

I spotted replacement shells on AliExpress so considering I have both keys and won't render myself immobile in the event of a f​uck up, I took the £8 plunge!

Some photos:

First off, The finished result (keyring is also a £3 AliExpress special):

Before & After:

The internals:
It's worth pointing out that it was not a 1:1 replacement.
There is no 'middle piece' to the knock off and you need to transfer over a few bits:
- glass rfid transponder in the narrow bit
- PCB for keypad
- silver battery contact
- battery
- key blade (see below)

The new key blade:
The blank blade didn't fit comfortably into the old shell and on closer inspection is quite bent.
It's probably fine as a keyring loop, but I wouldn't want that to be my emergency key!
In my case, I was able to just keep the original so haven't attempted to get it cut.

The rear of the new key
Not all the listings on AliExpress come with a badge, if you buy one without it you will have to transfer from your old key, price difference seems negligible so I recommend going for it.
Mine seems to have a smudge in the printing unfortunately but is barely noticeable from any distance

The aftermath - old shell
With a bit more care the old shell probably could have been kept as a backup but i had no guide to open it and only had a screwdriver to hand. Had it been my only key I would have been a lot more careful..

Conclusion:
Worth doing for the price even in my case but definitely so if you have a broken key but still have the transponder.

No coding/cutting required unless you are missing pieces already

There is a slight rattle from the transponder, if it annoys me it may get a dab of hot glue.

The 'action' of sliding the key into the slot is not quite as smooth as the original key but that may come with time.

Buttons are printed only rather than printed & engraved like the original so I hope they are hard wearing!

I'll probably carry both keys for a little while until I'm happy everything is OK with this one but could certainly see it becoming my main key

Links:
The shell I bought (lots of alternatives on there too)
The keyring
Imgur album
dirtyC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtyC30 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 22:47   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

I was pleased with the Aliexpress case I got for my C70's fob too. That was literally just the plastic casing and buttons.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 15:09   #3
P1Cosmic

I also got a new shell, though mine was via Ebay but still from China and likely from the exact same factory. I used the new button half and the original logo half but had to glue them together. Also, seeing as I have the accessory starter knob permanently in the ignition what I did was move the transponder chip to the body of the fob, then chopped off the shaft so it's now like a proper modern, and less awkward, fob. P. S. You do need to be somewhat careful of the printed symbols, like you said they aren't inset like the original.
P1Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 21:10   #4
shadycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Cosmic View Post
I also got a new shell, though mine was via Ebay but still from China and likely from the exact same factory. I used the new button half and the original logo half but had to glue them together. Also, seeing as I have the accessory starter knob permanently in the ignition what I did was move the transponder chip to the body of the fob, then chopped off the shaft so it's now like a proper modern, and less awkward, fob. P. S. You do need to be somewhat careful of the printed symbols, like you said they aren't inset like the original.

Sounds like an interesting little hack, can you explain a bit more what you have done, what do you mean by the accessory starter knob?
shadycat is offline   Reply With Quote