Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS Sensor faulty (VIDA) which one?

Views : 848

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2022, 12:04   #1
Hoggy32

Default ABS Sensor faulty (VIDA) which one?

Hello,

So I've had the ABS-light on in my dashboard for some time, and I recently scanned it with my VIDA/DICE which gave me these errors:

https://i.imgur.com/cP5D2g1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0ltrvSo.jpg
(Images too big to attach them here)

Now, I'm not sure which side the faulty one is but I've noticed when I turn the wheels to left the light disappears and turn to the right it turns on.
Is there a way to know which one is faulty for sure? Or should I just replace them both?

I guess 2x of these would be good
(they work for both sides, there is no right/left correct?) https://www.bildelaronline24.se/stark/7856882 Part No: 30854299

-----
Is there any guide on how to change these sensors, I could maybe check if the connector is loose before ordering new ones. I believe it's easy, just removing the wheel and unclip the wire and unplug it. But I'm not sure where the wire is plugged in

Last edited by Hoggy32; May 5th, 2022 at 12:16.
Hoggy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2022, 19:30   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

sounds more like a broke or cracked reluctor ring check these before buying any thing double click on the fault on vida screen for more info
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:47   #3
Hoggy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
sounds more like a broke or cracked reluctor ring check these before buying any thing double click on the fault on vida screen for more info

I got this when I double clicked the fault code:

https://i.imgur.com/hkdL94c.jpeg

I also noticed that it's harder to get the light turned on now. Before it used to be as soon as I turned the wheel to right it would light up. Now it's only if I'm at a higher speed and do a sharp right turn. Would this indicate that it might be the sensor cable being loose? Or could it still be the reluctor ring

Last edited by Hoggy32; May 13th, 2022 at 10:54.
Old May 13th, 2022, 11:39   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

its quite rare for sensors to fail check the rings it only takes a small split or excessive rust to create a fault
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:16   #5
Hoggy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
its quite rare for sensors to fail check the rings it only takes a small split or excessive rust to create a fault
Alright, yeah I hoped for the sensor to be faulty. Because the rings are pretty hard to access and replace from what I know. Do you have any easy guide to do this the best way?
Old May 13th, 2022, 14:45   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

find the si robb channel on y tube he has a video of the replacement or these a good garage should be able to change on in under an hour the ring is abt £6 so not to expensive a job go under and check the rings first
Old May 13th, 2022, 15:15   #7
canis
Non Fragile

I'd blame the sensor. Reluctor rings can break, I'm told, but i've never seen one. A decent diagnostic tool will tell you which wheel is reporting the fault. I didn't have a code reader, so i asked my local garage to read the codes for me, cost me £20 but ensured i got the right one.

The main issue is the sensors are electronic and sensitive, and their position is unsprung. That means they get the full force of all the jolts, jarrs and all the weather, grit, salt, spray. These sensors really suffer. Reluctor rings are just dumb bits of metal.

You'll find out when you come to remove the bolts for it. They'll be rusted to buggery. The big problem will be getting them out, getting them in again will be practically impossible, you'll have to buy new ones almost certainly.

Last edited by canis; May 13th, 2022 at 15:17.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 19:48   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

reluctor ring fail all the time iv had my v70 7 years and iv replaced 3 broken rings in the time iv had it check them it cost nothing to look at them rust on the rings can also wear out sensors if it gets bad enough if you do end up needing sensors shop around. last sensor i bought was £18.volvo wanted £70 .

Last edited by Simmy; May 13th, 2022 at 19:56.