Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Temp gauge question

Views : 5090

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2015, 21:27   #11
niveketak
66 Amazon

Hi Arcturus, it is possible to do it in situ although putting the new one in might be a bit of a trial and the screws are tiny. Ron wants some pics of it being done which might be a bit difficult but I have a decent small camera for under the dash shots and no doubt my wife will enjoy taking picks of a beached whale across the front seats. Will report back when it is installed. Huke is kindly sending me the gauge without me sending him the old one first so I can carry on using the old girl.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niveketak For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2015, 19:55   #12
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default Temp gauge installed

All installed this afternoon, images attached. For anyone who is contemplating this, I did it without removing the dash, I have no idea whether this is easier or not but the wiring behind the dash is fairly busy. I attached the wires to the new gauge before installation as shown which made it a bit more difficult to get into the hole and start the first screw but was easier than wiring it afterwards. Sender comes in two parts, outer collar and inner sender which make it easier to use a socket to screw it in. By the way JP you were right there was a very small skin of oil in the hole which I managed to extract, a leak at the back of the rocker cover. The terminal connections are very small and care is clearly needed not to over tighten them or the sender for that matter. The aperture can be seen on the under dash image with the V showing though.

For those with eagle eyes and criticising natures, the awful wiring has now been remedied and replaced with new along with some better connections in places and rerouting in others. I managed to blow the tiny ignition fuse when I caught an unprotected live wire under the dash. I don't have a replacement like that so will have to contact Simon at Brookhouse for one as they are not available here for some reason.

Haven't tested it yet will do that tomorrow.

One note of caution, don't pick the hottest day of the year to do it like I did, bad move sweat in your eyes as you try and align a tiny screw is no fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000095a.jpg (341.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg P1000098a.jpg (106.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1000099a.jpg (249.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg P1000105a.jpg (346.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P1000114.jpg (161.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P1000115a.jpg (301.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1000103a.jpg (314.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg P1000117a.jpg (343.1 KB, 72 views)
Old Jul 20th, 2015, 20:56   #13
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveketak View Post
I managed to blow the tiny ignition fuse when I caught an unprotected live wire under the dash. I don't have a replacement like that so will have to contact Simon at Brookhouse for one as they are not available here for some reason.
A lesson I’ve learnt very early: disconnect your battery when working on the electrics.

A cheap alternative to a new fuse (I assume you mean the stubby 25 amp fuse): remove the metal part of a standard length 25 amp fuse and, after some creative bending, fit it to the old ceramic core.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4572red.JPG (350.8 KB, 31 views)
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 00:29   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

I see anti freeze and not oil. That's a good sign.
+1 re the battery. A noisy short when your head is under the dash can really make you jump. Might give you a nasty injury too.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 06:58   #15
niveketak
66 Amazon

Making excuses here but it was so hot my brain wasn't functioning correctly. I disconnected it to remove the old gauge but the reconnected as I needed to move the car. Then...... age is a terrible thing sometimes.

There was literally a small skin of oil where it had leaked from the rocker gasket around the sensor and when I took the old sensor out it clearly dropped into the hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to niveketak For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 09:04   #16
arcturus
arcturus

Looks like there is more space in Amazon than my PV. I think I would need to remove driver seat and steering wheel and put a load of cushions on the floor. Not as young and slim as you appear to be.
Hey, just had a thought. Why don't you come here and do mine. Get some surfing in at the same time.

Last edited by arcturus; Jul 21st, 2015 at 09:46.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 12:38   #17
niveketak
66 Amazon

Sounds like a plan but you were clearly not referring to me as my days of being young are about to hit the big 60 and I am only slimmer than I was by 15 kg definitely not slim, must have been a good camera angle.

I did have a big chunk of foam to rest my head on in-between bouts of frustration at dropping the screw for the umpteenth time just out of reach. Actually got completely stuck one time as the passenger door had swung shut and I couldn't use the sill to extract myself.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 16:21   #18
Alf ista
Premier Member

I managed to replace mine in situ. I found the most comfortable way was to use a few milk crates which are about sill height, with some plywood on top. Put them on the floor beside the car, with the door open, so you can lie down with your head and upper body on a few cushions in the footwell . Much more comfortable than being on the seats and better space for your arms etc.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 07:53   #19
niveketak
66 Amazon

I am going to give that a try today with some boxes as yesterdays maiden run to try it out resulted in the needle falling off into the speedometer binnacle!!!!

No criticism of the gauge intended, I must have caught the needle installing the gauge. Will take it out again this morning and see what's happened.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 09:35   #20
niveketak
66 Amazon

Correction to the above, the needle hadn't fallen off just need better glasses and to look in the right place. Currently investigating some dodgy wiring which may be the culprit.