Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 let saloon for spares and repairs, or breaking.

Views : 997

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 20:01   #1
Dan Blankley

Default 940 let saloon for spares and repairs, or breaking.

Good day, I don't come on here much I know but my 940 has a potentially fatal oil leak, and unless I can repair it (and i highly doubt I can) it's time to say goodnight, but after 200k mabe it's time to go.

Now before you say I'm giving up on a good car, a lot of the underneath is quite rotten, the fuel lines are bodge jobs I made a year ago (so holding up surprisingly well), the rear shocks are as much use as a chocolate kettle. Every panel has dinks and knocks except the boot and i think passenger side wing.

The tracking is gone, or it has a bent hub
There has been oil leaking over the front of the engine almost a year now. Finally sorted the cam seal and this one appeared, and I've given up ploughing this much into an old girl, no matter how much I love her, I don't have the time or the money. The differential is loose as hell, you can really tell in deceleration

It's not from driting I've been too worried about breaking her with all her current problems to risk causing any more

The box feels okay, nothing special but IMO pretty good for the age/mileage.

The speedo is temperamental but that doesn't bother me, just means it doesn't quite count up all the miles it does. The temp gauge works once on a blue moon at best, the fuel gauge is okay for rough estimation but is so far from accurate it's laughable.

The flywheel I'm told is causing a good old regular knock, which I'm told is common.

Oh by the way the box is an m90.

Just had a new set of ht leads, plugs, oil filter and oil. Didn't get round to doing the belts and fuel filter as they are a bit of a pig and it was raining the day I did the service, in the dark, fun times. I've had it off the road for a while, and took parts off for a friend's 940 (I.e the cam belt tensioner and turbo oil feed pipe) so had Great fun forgetting about them.... Oil everywhere...

The under engine tray is caked in oil and crap, and has holes in it, it's worthless.

The engine runs okay and when I changed the actuator (it has the actuator from a 2l hpt, bit of power boost, not a lot) I noticed a fair amount of oil in the turbo itself. So I wiped it and stuck it back together, wasn't at home and had no choice really. Still she's done about 20k since I've had her and never missed a beat really.

Now I'm gonna cry but I gotta get a newer car til I'm rich and famous. In which case, I'll come looking for her. And she better not be squashed haha.

Not sure what else to say, I'll upload photos another time when I have some decent ones.

Oh I have also got 960 style rear lights, a leccy fan and relay and the rear infill panel. But you'll probably have to prise them out of my cold dead hands.

I'm open to questions, but I'd rather she was used as a donor so I can find her again one day haha, I'm that sad.

I'm looking at getting a v70 now so I'll give prices and get ready to take bits off but until I've agreed with someone to buy there car I'll have to give estimates.

I'm hoping however to have a v70 by mid next month and my 940 gone by the end of February, mabe March, due to tax.

I'll probably not be on here much so email me;
D_Blankley@live.Co.uk

Cheers guys :-)
Dan Blankley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 07:26   #2
Dan Blankley

Default few more things :-)

Hi guys, forgot a few things whilst. Wrote this, first off, it's an lpt saloon not an l.e.the haha, I found out she's only capable of 111 (by sat nav) last night. Although I obviously didn't drive it that fast!

Next, there is a tow bar, you want it though you can get it off. And I advise buying new nuts and bolts

Aaand I can't remember what else there was, will keep you all updates.

Oh the offside wing mirror and the gearbox/prop/diff are provisionally gone
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 17:42   #3
Dan Blankley

Remembered a few of those bits. I have a brand new fuel filter, cam belt, 2 aux belts and 92 degree thermostat.

Also the front brakes were completely replace last March i think. So brand new calipers practically
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 17:55   #4
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

What year is it?

I might want the front seat belt buckles (on their stalks) if they're any good and the same as mine. I'm on my second 940 and my current one has different seat belt buckles to my previous one, so I think they must have changed them at some point between 1993 and 1998.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 21:36   #5
kuko

how much for tow bar, can collected
kuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 19:20   #6
t5frankie
Master Member

what interior has it got?

visit my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/t5frankie?feature=mhee
t5frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 17:46   #7
Dan Blankley

Default Sorry!

I completely forgot about this, had major issues with getting the new car sorted and the insurance company.

It had a mix match interior, black half leathers (well vinyl) I'm the front, old cloth I can't even remember the colour in the back.

The driver seat had tried to set me on fire one day and had a hole melted in it the size of a fan burn.

The towbar was seriously rotten. A torque wrench wouldn't get it off, but I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to try.

It was a late one, a p reg.

again im sorry i didn't check at the time. This post has made me emotional, I'm so sad. I miss her :-(