Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

REMEMBER "lifetime transmission” means 100K

Views : 2428

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 13:42   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default REMEMBER "lifetime transmission” means 100K

REMEMBER "lifetime transmission” actually means 100K or the end of the full factory warranty.

Doubt this? Go to your dealer with your failed 20 year old box.

Auto Transmissions
I’ve banged on about this many times. The lifetime transmission on these cars is one of the major points that puts thee cars in the crusher. Sealed transmissions are a scam, period. It says "We're building this to fail."

Any car manufacturer cares for brand-new showroom costumers only... A lifetime, sealed, maintenance free transmission sounds far better than changing the oil every 60k miles...

From Volvo’s standpoint, you are not a Volvo owner. Never forget that. 

Your auto is virtually the same box as fitted to Toyotas, it is a Toyota box. In a Toyota you flush at 60.000. Now flush that ATF or better still fit a cooler:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=259661

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_Fi6mkrNA[/YOUTUBE]

I would say, put in a Derale Stat but heyho...

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 21st, 2018 at 14:02.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 10:49   #2
Steve440
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
REMEMBER "lifetime transmission” actually means 100K or the end of the full factory warranty.

Auto Transmissions
I’ve banged on about this many times. The lifetime transmission on these cars is one of the major points that puts thee cars in the crusher. Sealed transmissions are a scam, period. It says "We're building this to fail."

Any car manufacturer cares for brand-new showroom costumers only... A lifetime, sealed, maintenance free transmission sounds far better than changing the oil every 60k miles...

Your auto is virtually the same box as fitted to Toyotas, it is a Toyota box. In a Toyota you flush at 60.000. Now flush that ATF or better still fit a cooler:

Same with my 99 BMW Z3, no service schedule for gearbox and diff!! Apparently filled for life!! Croc of ****! Both been drained and refilled and the gearchange was transformed.

On my Volvo I done a full auto box flush when I got her and now do an annual sump dump as part of my service schedule.
Steve440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:12   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

I flush once a year with around 10+ litres of this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Syn...sAAOSwvUlWs0nJ

I only do around 9-10k miles a year, but for the sake of 50 quid it's worth it imo! I've decided to not fit a cooler though...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:34   #4
canis
Non Fragile

100,000 isn't enough though. Now, a 1970s car would be at the end of it's life in about 100,000 miles, but it would also be absolutely rotten with rust to the point of collapse. "Disposable cars" we used to call them, like lighters only bigger. You could tell if you had one, because you'd have to go around picking out the bits of yellow sponge from the rust after cleaning it.

Today it's not unlikely a ten year old car will look fairly reasonable. And considering an average of 12,000 miles a year, that reaches 120,000 miles, obviously. So this is unquestionably designed obsolescence.

That's disgusting.

I don't really understand this idea of only selling brand new cars. Think about the Ford Cortina, everybody knew the parts were interchangeable. My father had one, I grew up with them, then when I began driving it's the first thing I bought. And the next one too, and the one after. Ford were brand famous for the Cortina. You could have a brand new one if you wanted, or if funds didn't permit, you could buy an old fixer-upper. Either way, people saw them on the roads, arguably the biggest advert you could have.

And when people see them, they'll recognise the differing marques. They'll recognise the cosmetic changes, but seeing all these marques will be testament to their longevity. And that's a real selling point!

As a persons personal wealth increases, having been so satisfied with not feeling stitched up every time a breakdown occurs, they are likely to remain loyal and buy a newer version of what has been faithful thus far. Consider the alternative - would you buy another car from the same manufacturer having been given the "Oooh, that'll be expensive!" every single time you visit the dealership for a void bush or a brake pad. Of course one would be reluctant to stick with it.

But, I guess they're in the business of selling cars, and I'm not. So what do I know? All I know is, as a consumer I'm sick to the back teeth of feeling statistically cheated out of every last penny.

Now, any manufacturer who breaks that tradition will certainly get my custom. But honestly, this (designed obsolescense) type of tactic no longer suprises me. Everything is built to last only just long enough, and then they wonder why people jump ship.

Oh, but absurd looking rear lights can fix that, and even more LEDs! Not everybody is interested in styling - some people put function before form, and why the marketplace doesn't recognise this I cannot fathom. Are we genuinely witnessing true capitalism here? Is the marketplace genuinely self-levelling here? Personally, I don't think so.

Rant over.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:47   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

sdg1970

On that mileage, as my post, I completly agree with you.

A cooler would be a waste of time and money. Not sure I'd go as far as to do it every 10,000, but without a cooler every 40-45,000 definitley. Before fitting a cooler to mine, the ATF was brown by 25,000. Now it's still pink at 50,000.

When I last looked Mannol 3309 is very cheap. At present there's only two manufacturers of fully synth 3309, it just depends on what colour you like the bottle to be.

if you want it in Volvo bottles you're into £250. Mobil 1 bottles, almost as much.

Anyone else? £70 delivered for three times the quantity. Take you pick....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3309 In 3 Fruity Flavours24-03-18 01.jpg (53.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 3309 In 3 Fruity Flavours24-03-18 03.jpg (58.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 24th, 2018 at 12:00.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:52   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Auto Transmissions

You won't find any notes from Volvo which states the auto box is sealed for life , In fact they have always recommended oil change on cars which are used for towing , taxi work or other "arduous" uses ..
I would recommend an oil change every 54000 miles ...
all Volvo auto boxes have had an oil heat exchanger for at least the last 40 years .

Where do you get your evidence that the auto gearbox is sealed for life by the way?
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:57   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

canis

Our post must have crossed. I agree with each and every word, however sadly I feel holding these views has us wasting our time.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 12:05   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
You won't find any notes from Volvo which states the auto box is sealed for life , In fact they have always recommended oil change on cars which are used for towing , taxi work or other "arduous" uses ..
I would recommend an oil change every 54000 miles ...
all Volvo auto boxes have had an oil heat exchanger for at least the last 40 years .

Where do you get your evidence that the auto gearbox is sealed for life by the way?
You have not read the numerous TB from Volvo on the subject. You have not read the post and clearly don't quite grasp the function of the stock heater/cooler or Volvo's position. If you have a auto P80 or a P2 with more than 60,000 on it, and only the stock cooler you WILL have black ATF, (without towing or arduous use).

No P80 ever had ATF changed in its 'lifetime' as part of service at your main dealer. A cooler option was offered; only for arduous use. Coolers and ATF changes are 'not' required. These items are not in the service schedule.

So, this all depends on your take on the word 'lifetime'.

See the tread.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 24th, 2018 at 13:05.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 13:16   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Just to add...last July I bought 8 liters of genuine Volvo transmission oil (P/N 1161521), through my local main dealer which, with a 13% discount, came to €88.40 + €20.33 VAT. That's €108.73 (~ £95 GBP) for 8 liters of genuine oil. Not sure what part of the world it came from but had to wait a week for it to arrive.

When doing the sump dump on our '98 V70 AW50-42 (4 speed) I only managed to get 4 liters in so still have 4 liters for another dump. The 4 liters of oil that came out was of a really good clear pink colour so fingers crossed it had been recently changed (no record) by the previous owner.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 13:28   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
You have not read the numerous TB from Volvo on the subject. You have not read the post and clearly don't quite grasp the function of the stock heater/cooler or Volvo's position. If you have a auto P80 or a P2 with more than 60,000 on it, and only the stock cooler you WILL have black ATF, (without towing or arduous use).

No P80 ever had ATF changed in its 'lifetime' as part of service at your main dealer. A cooler option was offered; only for arduous use. Coolers and ATF changes are 'not' required. These items are not in the service schedule.

So, this all depends on your take on the word 'lifetime'.

See the tread.
I've been familiar with the service bulletins since 1971 , please refer me to the ones you are talking about .

True the atf change has not been a standard part of a service , obviously to keep the cost down , But it is there to be done as an option if you particularly want it changed , if you plan to run the car well over 100000 miles for example .

All autos have had a heat exchanger , There has always been an additional air to oil one available if you go up and down mountains all day but not needed under normal use . The fluid is designed to run at 90C .. It has to run at that temp to evaporate off condensation which can build up inside .

Lifetime used to mean 25 years as stated by Volvo however read 7 years these days 25 years isn't stated any longer !