Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front suspension advice...

Views : 2203

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 13:07   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Front suspension advice...

After a bit of advice please: my missus drives a 1999 V70 NA 2.5 petrol.

The dampers & springs have never been changed (it’s done 197k miles!) and their time has come. She got an advisory for minor corrosion on the springs last May for her MOT. The car still passes the bounce test, but not as well as I'd like.

I’ve had a look at the 850 guide on here and the job looks fairly straight forward…

Does anyone have a recommendation for dampers/shock absorbers that give a good service? The car is not lowered and she doesn’t want a harsh or 'sporty' ride as she uses it for transporting musical instruments (Harps to be precise). PFS stock Meyle & Sachs oil filled dampers – any experience in using these? Other options?

Same with springs: Any recommendations?

Strut mountings: going to fit new units as I really don’t like doing a job twice.

The ‘star’ shaped nut: does anyone have a tool I could borrow? (If not I’ll have to buy one... at least they're fairly cheap!).

Any other hints and tips for getting this job done? Last time I changed struts was on an Sierra XR4x4 a few years back… still got my trusty spring compressors even though I’ve not needed them for a while (double wishbone set up on an Amazon is a bit easier to work on than a MacPherson strut set up!)

Thanks in advance

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 20:15   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Mike

I have never found where to get the tool for the star shaped nut.
I just use a spanner hooked around one of the arms or a hammer.
Where would you get yours?

I or others can give you more detailed input in due course, but be prepared to change the upper rubber mount, and also the upper metal bearing plate.

Standard shocks and springs will probably suit you fine.

It is a straightforward job unless your spring compressors cannot grab enough coils.

Probably replace the drop links while you are at it unless you know yours are recent and good.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Mar 21st, 2018 at 20:17.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 20:17   #3
walshy

Sachs are good quality and are oe on a lot of cars. We sell a mix of monroe and bendix which are made by optimal I think and have never had any issues with them. They are also made to oe spec.
We sell lesjofers springs which are a Swedish company I'm sure and are also made to oe specs and are very reliable.
There are a lot of springs and shocks available on line at cheap prices but I wouldn't go down that road as we have customers that fit them and then end up buying our springs and shocks to replace them.
Hope this helps.
walshy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to walshy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 21:41   #4
Faust
Master Member

Cheers for the answers.

Skandix sell the star nut tool: http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...nting/1036675/

Drop links are about a year old (changed them myself).

Yep, going to change both mounts - spring cap and support bearing. Foolish not to when you've got the strut disassembled IMO.

Got Lesjofers springs on my Amazon and I'm happy with them so I'll keep my eyes open for a pair of these.

Used Sachs before so I'll probably price up a pair (just wanted confirmation that they 'suit' a V70).

Probably going to be doing the re-build over the Easter weekend... she'll be buying me a lot of pints in exchange!
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 09:22   #5
SteveSarre
Premier Member

PS

Since you are going to replace pretty much all of the components, you could look into buying a prebuilt assembly.

You are only short of a new bump stop, shroud and star nut.

I don't know what is available in terms of price and quality, but worth checking. (Let us know).

I always would want to take the old assembly apart so I could learn about what failed, and match that with any symptoms.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:18   #6
Faust
Master Member

Did think about full struts ‘ready built’ but I could only find units for phase 2 V70s… and the quality didn’t look brilliant to be honest.

Going to speak to FRF in Swansea today so I’ll ask them about availability.

My missus likes working on cars (taught her to do her own ignition components and brakes etc.) and she’s interested in doing the front struts - well, watching me and learning! - so it’d be a shame just to do a simple switch rather than the whole job.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 16:16   #7
Stu B
Master Member

Hi,

I did similar on my 850 last year, there are some pics and questions / answers that might help in my thread here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272275

Shocks wise, I went for a full set of Bilstein B4 from PFS. Been very happy with them, rides very well with standard springs, new top mounts, spring seats and bearings, bump stops etc.

As regards the star shaped nut, I used a large pair of stilsons (spelling?) across the diagonals to crack it and nip it back up, whilst holding the centre with an allen key (old struts) or open ended spanner (new struts).

It's not a bad job but be patient with the two little bolts that secure the top mounts under the boot floor. Roger advised me they are easily snapped as I recall, mine came out intact with lots of careful lubrication and working back and forth but it'd be a pain if you sheared them.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 20:18   #8
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Chaps

I have to replace what I suspect is the mount rubber after Lakes did the wrong side yet still managed to get her through an MOT !

Sick to death of sorting out the incompetence of others but have always been put off using the Stu B style spring compressors. Any advice on strong, safe brands would be much appreciated, with a view to doing the job meself !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 21:54   #9
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Chaps

I have to replace what I suspect is the mount rubber after Lakes did the wrong side yet still managed to get her through an MOT !

Sick to death of sorting out the incompetence of others but have always been put off using the Stu B style spring compressors. Any advice on strong, safe brands would be much appreciated, with a view to doing the job meself !
Use Clarke compressors myself - they've got safety hooks on which means the unit can't fall off the spring. Excellent bit of kit.

Had a compressor fail years ago... scared the hell out of me (luckily I wasn't injured but it could have been nasty).
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 07:30   #10
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Faust,

I guess you are referring to the vertical unit which sit still on a stand and is either foot operated, or I have seen a spindle version which may have been Sealey.

The fail to which you refer is precisely what I was referring to and which I would not want happening to me !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote