Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner mixed issues

Views : 1066

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 11:21   #11
Beefcake 4000

Thank you for some great responses.

Brake Light Relay has been ordered, would have taken me a while to find that one!

Heater Resistor unit ordered, should be fun trying to fit that.

I'll throw the space saver on in place of the chinese tyre then rotate it around until I find/eliminate tyre balance... assuming the space saver is balanced which it probably won't be as its speed restricted.
Beefcake 4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 13:40   #12
Beefcake 4000

Update:

Blower now working, though I made a spectacularly hamfisted attept at removing the motor from the outer casing, resulting in a new fan and motor, as well as replacing the motor controller. Don't ask, surfice to say I didn't read Oragex's full post about removing the two rubber mounted screws. Instead I tried to 'knock' the fan off the end of the shaft... not a good idea.

Had i not been such a nuckle head the controller replacement was just the job and would have fixed the problem. I bought a Nissen fan, fits just like the OEM one and looks to be really good quality, only cost me about £70-80 from fleabay.

Brake light work again, the relay seemed to solve the problem, though worryingly the one i took out had 4 pins and the new one had 5...?

Had all 4 wheels balanced and the Chinese tyre replaced for a Bridgestone, marked improvement but still an uncomfortable shudder. I checked the CV joints whilst the wheels were off, OSF moves a little but the NSF is phallus in a water collection device sloppy. So looking at swopping them both out, anybody used J&R driveshafts, theres mixed reviews on the internet but the seem helpfull enough so far and very keen prices, £80 each side for a complete assembled shaft ready to install.

I also noticed that the ride quality is really harsh and suspect the rear dampers are shot. Bounce tested the OSR quarter and got a slurpping noise, no advisories on the MOT so I'm guessing they are bone dry rather than leaking. I can't think what else would cause a harsh ride quality and I'm getting the feeling the car has had very little care in the last few years.
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 16:37   #13
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake 4000 View Post
Update:
I also noticed that the ride quality is really harsh and suspect the rear dampers are shot. Bounce tested the OSR quarter and got a slurpping noise, no advisories on the MOT so I'm guessing they are bone dry rather than leaking. I can't think what else would cause a harsh ride quality and I'm getting the feeling the car has had very little care in the last few years.
Agree it's likely to be shocks, ride should be smooth.
I changed them on my 2004 V70 at around 150k, now on 256k and still smooth.

Do you have any suspension rattles? Front bushes and top swivel joints are the usual causes of these if so...
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 17:04   #14
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnite View Post
Hi,

Good luck & keep your fingers crossed it isn’t the blower motor!

Apparently it’s a dash out job & the cost of the labour is MASSIVE compared to the cost of the parts.

A pal had his go on a 2008 model & it cost him just over a grand all up.
Seems that many Volvo indys won’t touch them.

Fingers crossed for you.

Regards - Rob
I can assume from the use of the word apparently you have not undertaken this job yourself. All you need to remove the glove box and some trim panels and bits and pieces but it is not a huge problem. Are you thinking about the matrix maybe?

I don't see how it can be considered a massive job! I did the heater motor on a 2002 V70 in an easy morning! I think your pal was ripped off.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 17:11   #15
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
That's on the P3 models, buried in the middle of the dash, tough to get to plus it takes a special tool to remove it from there.
You do indeed need a "special" tool however...

A piece of steel with 4 long M5 bolts welded or fastened on and an old socket takes care of the "special" tool. Basically you need to turn the fan through the fan blade, so you make a sort of pronged tool to turn the body through the fan.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 22:09   #16
Beefcake 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
Agree it's likely to be shocks, ride should be smooth.
I changed them on my 2004 V70 at around 150k, now on 256k and still smooth.

Do you have any suspension rattles? Front bushes and top swivel joints are the usual causes of these if so...
I don't think there's any rattle as such, having bought a full set of Meyle dampers, OS & NS drive shafts and a pair of front discs.. I'm hoping I won't have to buy anything else for a while. I don't mind spending money but I don't need a money pit.