Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

air mass flow sensor

Views : 2311

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2018, 15:33   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Default air mass flow sensor

Hi, I have a 1998 V70,2.5, 20v petrol. Engine management light appeared so read the codes which pointed to the air flow sensor so my mechanic sourced one but the light appeared again. My mechanic thinks that a Bosch part is the answer. These are about £130.00 on ebay whereas the one fitted was £35.00.
Has anyone had problems with fitting a generic meter.thanks
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 18:53   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Has anyone had problems with fitting a generic meter.thanks
Yes, especially so on turbocharged cars, you can read about all kinds of issues such as radiator cooling fans staying on after switching the ignition off and some send incorrect data back to the ECU which can cause over/under fueling.

Do you still have the original MAF sensor? Ask your mechanic if he tried cleaning it with specific MAF cleaner? This can work sometimes. If not I guess you'll need to bite the bullet and buy a new Bosch meter or try source a known good second-hand meter.

Did you notice any other issues with the car prior to the EML coming on?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 20:01   #3
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Baffler, Thanks for that. My car is not turbo. I think the mechanic threw out the old one. Prior to changing the Maff the tickover was erratic and running a little rich. After the new one was fitted everything was fine for a couple of hundred miles and then the EML came back on. Tickover was again erratic and it felt like more choke was being introduced to a hot engine.Also the car is now back firing at low revs. I would welcome your opinion please.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 20:28   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

I'd get back on to him to see if he still has it...it may actually be fine. Next on my list would be to check the ETC sensor for resistance. This is a very simple test with a multimeter. I posted the values in another thread recently...I'll have a search when I get home later.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 20:32   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Here you go...at 20°C it should be ~ 2800 Ω and at 90°C ~ 206 Ω.

Old Mar 17th, 2018, 16:00   #6
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Baffler, thanks very much for your time and trouble. I have managed to get the original MAF from the mechanics so shall get some MAF cleaner and give it a go. Failing that it looks like £130.00 for a Bosch sensor. Thanks again jack.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 23:28   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi Baffler, thanks very much for your time and trouble. I have managed to get the original MAF from the mechanics so shall get some MAF cleaner and give it a go. Failing that it looks like £130.00 for a Bosch sensor. Thanks again jack.
Hi, Jack, before you buy the cleaner...do you have a multi-meter? If not you can pick up a cheap one in Tesco or Carrefour or the likes that should at least give you the ability to read resistance.

For your MAF you can check for resistance across terminal 1 and 4. It should be approximately 110 Ω. If you get no reading it's gone open circuit and you'll need a new MAF meter.

Also check for resistance on the ETC sensor...values as per previous post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:14   #8
volvo2
Master Member

I had the same problem this morning on my 1994 petrol non-turbo. I'll read my codes tonight. If it is the MAF, is that relatively straightforward to replace?

What is the ETC. If it is electronic throttle control then I don't have one.
volvo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:31   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2 View Post
What is the ETC. If it is electronic throttle control then I don't have one.
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, more commonly known as CTS, your engine will have one, just below the pipe union on the thermostat housing.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 19:36   #10
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Baffler, my mechanic says fault code P0101. Am trying to get my hands on a multi-meter to make sure.jack