Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECP oil

Views : 4513

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 21:34   #33
Backhill1
Master Member

[QUOTE=skyship007;2078811]How long the oil bypass valve opens depends on a lot of different factors, but in most cases it's only a few seconds IF the oil is of the correct type. It makes very little difference in engine wear terms unless the oil is too cold to flow around the top end. Just to confuse matters most TD oil filters are in partial bypass all the time at high revs. So the time quoted depends on how you define open.

No normal full flow filter works well when clean, that's why they introduced dual units with an ultra fine secondary. If you ask on Bobs The Oil Guy forum they should have some wear particle rate graphs showing just how bad the first 1000 miles is with a new air or oil filter, although it does depend on if you pre fill a new oil filter. If you do prefill a new oil filter, then the initial efficiency is much better and often turns out to be similar to the efficiency of a dirty filter. Alas it's not possible to prefill a side on spin on oil filter.

I have tested numerous engines in endurance testing and field testing with live particle counters on the system post filter and I can assure you that there is no improvement with a dirty or older filter.
I'm not sure where your information comes from but it is contrary to all engine trials and field data I have been involved in.

I'm interested in how this data been collected we use an ISO particle counter and take live samples at 25hr intervals and send to our own Lab. How has this data been collected to prove a dirty filter improves things?

NOTE by a live sample our recommended sample point is fitted on the main outlet from the filters before the main gallery.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote