Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 LED DRL's just fitted

Views : 27750

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:48   #31
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Hi thanks for pointer. There are 2 ways of adding the led drls.

1, firstly leaving the cars original lights as they be it a volvo or any other, then having the leds come on with the ignition during the day then being forced to switch off when dipped main beams come on. This is done with an auto on/off relay kit which senses the above happen. It is legal to have the volvos normal drl switched off via programming in the uk. So ALL the original bulbs will be in place and work when they should via the cars light switch.

2, there are led drls available that have a dimming control in them also which enables them to be position lighting. These as above when connected to the car come on automatically with the ignition but dim by about 70% when dipped main beam is applied to become position lights as you quoted. So in this circumstance you could remove the normal parking/position lighting though its hardly worth it.

Although my post has had many points on this subject my install is not complete but should be today once i have visited volvo to have my normal drls switched off and have personnaly fitted the auto on/off kit for the led drls.
Bill Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:11   #32
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Default OK lets put this baby to bed

Job done. Thought I would finish the thread with the completed article. Just been to Caffyn's volvo in Brighton and had my standard volvo DRL's switched off at £45.

I have fitted the automatic ON/OFF LED DRL switcher unit into the car.

1, So now in the lights off position "0" only the new LED DRL's come on with the ignition on.

2, With light switch at its next position the side/parking lights come on, and the LED DRL's remain on also.

3, With the light switch at the last position the dipped main beams come on (as expected) and the LED DRL's switch off automatically.

Whilst in Halfords getting crimps etc I picked up a pair of white light LED parking lights also.

All the above is legal and proper, I think it looks pretty good and is very noticeable during the day.

I've attached 3 images taken after todays tinkering and they follow the above steps of 1, 2, 3.

Thanks for reading
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0810.jpg (183.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0811.jpg (180.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.jpg (189.6 KB, 165 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Edmondson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 17:30   #33
raife

Nice one. Mine arrived in the post today.

I think i will not bother with having the standard DRLs switched off.

Where did you wire in the unit you bought from amazon?

I am guessing that you don't get any error warning messages?
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 18:15   #34
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Hi Raife,

The little led parking lights all though warn that they could cause that sensor fault have a resistor built in so no trigger on mine :-).

The auto on/off is like this.

A, 3 input cables, 1 goes to battery +, 1 goes to battery -, one goes to main dipped beam +
B, 2 output cables +&- which connect to the led drills +&-

It then senses the + when the battery connection under the bonnet goes live and turns on the led drills. It stays that way till you turn on your dipped main beam when it senses the + of the introduction and closes the relay turning off the led drills.
Then when you switch off the ignition and lock the car and walk away they stay on for approx 20 seconds. (just long enough for you to pop a glance and grin !-).

Simples

Last edited by Bill Edmondson; Jul 7th, 2011 at 21:00.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 03:41   #35
dsd1976

Looks very good.. Do you have the details of that relay want to see if I can source something similiar here in Canada?
dsd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:51   #36
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Hi theres a link called amazon on the second page of this thread. Hope it helps. If you search it on ebay it comes up with loads from the states aswell
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 16:52   #37
raife

Hey Bill,

Started out on my DRL fitting today and hit a big obstacle....I have washer jets and the pipework for these are exactly where the DRL is situated on yours!

Unless the protrude outwards their a no go fitting!!

Shame.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 17:07   #38
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

oooooow bu$%er, what you gonna do?

Can you not even set them back 50/50.

Mine doesn't have the washers fortunately.

Bet you've held them at every angle on the front of the car hey?

Come on you can do it, extend and move the hoses or is it proper stuff ticked behind there?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 18:11   #39
raife

The bit you cut out from behind the grill seems too elborate to cut or move at all with the extended plastic shroud for the washer jets. I thought about having them sit out 50/50 but im most keen to have it loo as OEM as possible.

GGGggrrrrrrr
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 19:47   #40
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

An idea, which may end up looking even neater, pop the grills out, fit the drls into the grills but then bond the grills back in sat forward.

That way the drls look oem, and lets face it those grills could have just as easily been flush to the body anyway when they designed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Edmondson For This Useful Post: