Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

selling a car with finance on it.

Views : 1458

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:24   #1
ian7675

Default selling a car with finance on it.

Last summer myself and the wife urgently needed a second car but we couldn't quite afford it outright so we took some finance out on it. I have no financial problems or anything but the car just isn't getting used any more. I've literally driven a few hundred miles since Christmas so its becoming an unnecessary expense. So I was thinking about selling it but the problem is it had the finance secured on it. Do people generally have a problem with this and are people generally going to avoid it despite my honesty? Obviously I would just pay the finance off straight away but I'd like to avoid paying out for another year of motoring if i can.
Failing that I'd just have to pay it off over the next year and sell it then. What do you think?
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:35   #2
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Thought about doing just that with the wife's Fiesta, and a lot of private buyers might not check or realise, but at the end of the day, the car doesn't belong to you, so it's not yours to sell...

Also, if I was a sensible private buyer, and you had been honest about this, I wouldn't touch your car with a barge pole, knowing that there was an outside chance that the finance company might come and repossess the car that I'd just paid £5K for...

Lots of adverts these days about cars with hidden pasts and it takes 1 minute for a buyer to send and receive a text with the information on.
As someone who has thought about it long and hard myself, I'd say it isn't worth the risk.

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70 B5254T For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 08:48   #3
Speedy

I would suspect you not the only one, even on here. I'd think that loads of people have cars that as soon as that last payment is finished it's off to a new home, people circumstances change even from when they first bought the car. I got my S60 when i was doing long trips, 4 years down the road I've now got a 6 mile commute to work, do I really need a 2.4 to do that?.

You could voluntarily surrender the car but you'd lose all the money you put down to purchase, so just try and sell it in the free ads to keep further costs down or it will cost you more and just hope you find that person.

Would you buy a car with finance knowing you'd clear that finance.

Steve.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:13   #4
ian7675

That's what I thought, thinking about it from a buyers perspective I doubt I would take the risk either. I'll probably try and up the payments and clear it quicker then I can think about selling it. It's a shame as it's a nice car but these days my head has to rule my heart.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:17   #5
Mr-V70

It is worth discussing this with the finance company. When i sold a car with outstanding finance they granted their permission on the basis that the loan was settled on sale of the car.

This was a few years ago now so things may have changed. It may also say something about it in the T&C's of the finance agreement.

Sam
1993 440 1.8l - Sold
Mr-V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr-V70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:49   #6
ian7675

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:58   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It's got to be worth a call to the finance company, they must have a way to deal with situations like this and if their solution doesn't suit you then you still have the option to just keep the car until the finance is paid off.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 09:59   #8
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I know of people who have done this, as long as the buyer is happy and you have agreed with finance company then all should be well.

I take it the money you would get from a sale is over and above the outstanding finance? The way it worked with the people I know was; the buyer bought the car and dealt with the seller but the payment was made to the finance company in whole and NOT the seller, then once the finance company took off the finance sum and associated costs then the remainder balance was then paid to the seller.

I think most finance companies are happy as long as they are going to get their money in full and your honest with them.

All the best,

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:05   #9
ian7675

Yeah there would be money in the car for me after its paid off, Thats one of the reasons we went for such a short finance period. If the finance company would do as you suggested i.e take the whole amount and give me back the remainder, i would be mire than happy with that. I'll call them when I can.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:16   #10
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Its fruad to knowingly sell a car with OUTSTANDING finance unless agreed by the finance company, as others have said, the finance co are the best ones to talk to regards this